Need advice on ceiling

Old 03-22-19, 02:47 PM
M
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Need advice on ceiling

My friends bathroom is in need of repair. The walls and ceiling are the 40's style plaster walls. The topcoat in one area of the ceiling has fallen, probably due to an old leak. I'm hesitant on repair this section with joint compound as it may fall over time as well. My thought id to drywall over the ceiling using adhesive and drywall screws. Then adding trim around the ceiling edges held in place with screws as well. I'm interested on opinions concerning my planned repair or any other ideas that may be better. Thanks!

Attached Images  

Last edited by middletown0211; 03-22-19 at 02:49 PM. Reason: Adding Picture
Old 03-22-19, 02:52 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,910 Upvotes on 1,716 Posts
Sounds like a good plan except the perimeter trim would not need to be screwed on. Finish gun / finish nails.

Old 03-22-19, 03:51 PM
M
Thank you! I wasn't sure if the perimeter would need to be supported. It's always nice to here solutions that will save time.

Old 03-22-19, 04:57 PM
T
Received 48 Upvotes on 41 Posts
If you are set on going over it with new drywall I would not bother with adhesive over the paint. The adhesive is only as good as the bond of the paint which is probably tenuous. It would be a good idea to use adhesive where the plaster finish came loose. (also take off anything else that is loose) Adhesive in this place will bond and it will help alleviate any problem with the offset of the thickness.

Old 03-22-19, 06:19 PM
M
Good point. Never thought about it in that manner.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: