Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Walls and Ceilings
Reload this Page >

Can I remove the column under the load bearing beam?

Old 06-27-19, 10:04 AM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

Hi,
I recently ripped apart my basement and found a column under a load bearing steel beam that I'd like to remove. The load above the beam is my floor only. The floor above is all open space without any additional columns touching the steel beam below. So it's really floor only being supported. The steel beam spans 15 feet from foundation to foundation with only that one single steel column in the middle. I'd really like to remove that column. I'm not even sure why it's there. Maybe it was required prior to the renovations of the rest of my house which had a column above it which supported the roof as well but that was removed and the load redistributed elsewhere. Can someone tell me if it can be safely removed? I've attached some photos.

https://1drv.ms/u/s!AsebJLwdThdOg5wbXU1KpChb6pTaAQ

Photo

Thanks.

Old 06-27-19, 10:21 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 743 Votes on 684 Posts
If there is a steel beam with a column under it I would say NO you cannot remove the column. That's a pretty massive I beam with what appears to be a footer so make that a double NO. I can assure you that beam and column is doing more than just holding up floor. You should consult with a structural Engineer to find out your options.

Old 06-27-19, 11:30 AM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
There is nothing but the floor and an ikea island above that beam and column. As I mentioned, there used to be another column on the floor above that held the roof but it was removed and the load redistributed to another beam. So it's really nothing but floor above the basement. But yeah should probably consult at expert.

Old 06-27-19, 05:09 PM
Received 14 Votes on 12 Posts
https://www.awc.org/codes-standards/...tware/spancalc

Where does this 15 ft span land in this span calculator. If outside parameters, the floor will bounce. Column was put there for a reason, you can't just assume without a structural review by a qualified person.

Old 06-27-19, 05:26 PM
Group Moderator
Received 772 Votes on 713 Posts
Chris, its a steel beam, not wood. A structural engineer would need to know the size and gauge of the beam. It's probably 800 lbs just on its own. Not to mention the building materials and 40 lb/sq ft load rating.

Old 06-28-19, 06:55 AM
B
Received 100 Votes on 87 Posts
If removing the column is a high priority, getting a licensed structural engineers approval/disapproval before taking action should be a higher priority. Finding out down the road you have created structural problems due to removing the column is not something easily reversed.

Old 06-28-19, 03:16 PM
Received 14 Votes on 12 Posts
Was thinking more of the joists that are supported buy this steel beam. Would imagine that this is the central point for a floor system that extends out in two directions from the steel beam. So the span calculator is still a potential valid tool in this instance.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: