Add temp room

Old 08-01-19, 12:06 PM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Wink Add temp room

Hi - I'm in need of a temporary (few years) bedroom. Thinking of taking my 14 x 22 foot family room and putting up a temporary but solid full wall up at about the 8 foot mark making it an 8 x 14 foot room with an entry door.. Don't want any wiring in the wall as there are already enough outlets in the room. Plus I want easy take down when the time comes. Am I crazy to try this? It's for a 6 year old. I was thinking of putting non-opening windows at the top of the wall to let in more light as there would be no outside windows. Also figure I need a return vent into the rest of the family room. There is an air duct in the part of the room that would be closed it.

I can't imagine it would be too expensive to have that done. Do I consider hiring a contractor or a handyman?

As always - Thanks

Attached Images  

Last edited by MaryP; 08-01-19 at 12:27 PM. Reason: add pic
Old 08-01-19, 01:13 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,152 Upvotes on 1,927 Posts
You can not have a bedroom without a egress sized window or other means of egress/escape. Every bedroom is required to have two avenues of escape in case of fire.

No, you are not crazy for thinking of doing a temporary wall. I've done a couple of them. I frame the wall and use a few screws to attach the top and bottom to the ceiling and floor, screwing right through carpeting. If the floor is hardwood put down a strip of non-slip shelf paper on the floor and use wedges to squeeze the wall tightly between floor and ceiling.

Old 08-01-19, 02:38 PM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
I appreciate your answer.
There is the sliding glass door between the new 'room' and the master bedroom. Wouldn't that count as a second escape? Makes sense about the bedroom window.
So it shouldn't be a problem to hire someone who just has carpentry experience?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: