osb interior paneling

Old 09-05-19, 07:46 PM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
osb interior paneling

Hello. Long time lurker, first time poster. I recently bought a house build in 1880. Its an old timber frame house and is very solid. Aside from that everything else needs to go. Ive currently gotten the living room down to studs and was looking for some thoughs on paneling the whole room with 19/32 osb before hanging sheetrock. The studs dont follow an spacing pattern whatso ever. spacing ranges between 8-18 inches. They are also far from plane. Some stick out up to half inch, some in up to a half inch. Ive spent alot of time trying different ways to shim the walls flat (lazers, plumb bobs, levels, straight edges, string lines, etc) but still havent gotten them good enough to put drywall up. Ive hung a few sheets of osb up (over the shimming) that I had and its done the trick. Is there any potential issues with this?

Old 09-05-19, 08:33 PM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,263 Upvotes on 1,204 Posts
I wouldn't think it would fix structure that isn't straight but if it does, great. The issue I see is the extra thickness of the wall material affecting electrical receptacles and fixtures and if you tried to reuse any trim from prior to your remodel.

Old 09-06-19, 02:56 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
The biggest drawback to the OSB is the extra work/expense. I have worked a few jobs where they added OSB [under the drywall] on load bearing walls to give them more strength. IMO it would make more sense to add or shim studs as needed.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: