Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Walls and Ceilings
Reload this Page >

What to do with drywall that used to be wet / moldy

Old 10-20-19, 03:50 PM
L
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

We had a leak above our window, drywall was wet. I was able to punch a hole in it with a screwdriver quite easily. The baseboard came loose on one side.

Leak is fixed and everything is dry. Dry screwdriver doesn't makes holes easily anymore. There are no stains. I can see evidence of wood extending and a tiny bit of bubbling under the paint.

If I come as close as 1ft with my nose to where the baseboard used to be, I can smell a little mold. I sprayed a mold disinfectant, but I think it's behind the dry wall.

I wonder, do I have any reason to rip this dry wall out and replace all of it just so that I can be sure there is no mold? Or is it enough to patch up this wall etc which is much easier.

After all, I don't know where else in the house there could have been a leak in the past. But I also don't want the smell to get worse over time.

Attached Images      
Old 10-20-19, 05:25 PM
Received 946 Votes on 859 Posts
Remove and replace any questionable drywall!

Old 10-21-19, 02:14 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 672 Votes on 595 Posts
No way to know if there is mold on the reverse side without seeing it. I'd at least cut out a small section to inspect it. Any drywall that is still soft needs to be replaced. If the bad drywall is limited to behind the base you can cut it just below the top of the base and replace with no need to tape, finish and texture.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: