Glue up ceiling tiles

Old 12-29-19, 12:12 PM
P
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Glue up ceiling tiles

Is it okay to use OSB to attach glue up PVC ceiling tile?

Old 12-29-19, 01:26 PM
T
Received 109 Upvotes on 97 Posts
I suspect you're asking if it's Ok to attach glue up type PVC ceiling tile to OSB. If so, the answer is yes for adhesive, but only depending on which adhesive is used. Check adhesive instructions. Advanced Polymer FRP (fiberglass reinforced panel) should be a good choice but avoid "fast grab" adhesives including FRP fast grab. Also avoid peel and stick. Without fast grab you may need to add some staples.

Last edited by Tony P.; 12-29-19 at 01:52 PM.
Old 12-29-19, 03:28 PM
Received 1,210 Upvotes on 1,098 Posts
Question is not clear, OSB is plywood, if your attaching panels to that it really depends on the adhesive.

There are several ceiling panel adhesives available, Henery makes a really good adhesive that grips well and holds fast!

Old 12-30-19, 08:20 AM
P
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Thanks! What is on there now are the 1`x1` squares that are stapled to furring strips attached to the joists. Made out of that "crumbly" type cement board material. I am going to be installing 2`x 2` PVC tiles. I`ve read that they can also be attached to the furring strips as well. I would think that the hollow space in between would have some "give". This is why I would like to remove the furring strips and attach a solid piece that is light in weight like that particle board. It would then be completely fastened and will be firm. Want to avoid drywall if I can. Don`t really need it. Also, do I need to primer the board with paint for a better stronger adhesion?

Last edited by pjrocks; 12-30-19 at 08:28 AM. Reason: Additional comment.
Old 12-30-19, 12:12 PM
T
Received 109 Upvotes on 97 Posts
Painting OSB will improve adhesion. Have a look at "adhesion primers" some of which are designed for situations like yours. Consider adding primer before putting the pieces up as doing so will make the paint job easier. Furring strips are a common way to put up ceilings but I'd likewise be concerned about doing so with 2'X2' unless you created a checkerboard pattern.

Don't forget to check the adhesive instructions or speak to someone. Many contain solvents which can make a mess of your tiles.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: