Removing Wall

Old 09-14-22, 02:26 AM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Removing Wall

Hi all,

Not much of a DIY expert but looking to take on a decent sized project. Dad and Uncle are both very good when it comes to most things and will support, but the biggest stumbling block is neither are great with structural advice.

Have checked the wall is hollow, its made of plasterboard, the wall doesn't line up with any of the upstairs rooms.

Still I feel like I'm at 95% certainty and just wanted further opinions. The house is fairly old I think 1920s, 1920ss previous work done on it and has two steels running in a square into kitchen and living room.

Any ideas or further tips, I saw something about double/single plates but not sure what that means!

Beam that had been fitted before we moved in.

Small opening made to see inside of wall i want to remove.

Cheers all. Sorry if there's not enough detail, I can try and provide more based on my limited knowledge!

Old 09-14-22, 05:04 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,152 Upvotes on 1,927 Posts
Almost all walls are hollow so that doesn't help determine if it is load bearing. Your pictures don't show us where the wall you want to remove is located. They also don't show where the beams are located in relation to the wall so we can't tell if the wall is somehow involved in the beams.

You can look for a double top plate which could indicate that it is load bearing though this is far from certain. If you don't know what things are search online. There are tons of images and diagrams showing what each part is called.

You can also check the ceiling to determine the joist direction. In most cases a load bearing wall will be perpendicular to the joists.

The wall you opened up is modern construction. So, it was not there when the house was first built so it is likely not be load bearing but... because of changes over the years it is possible that it is load bearing. Also, many old balloon framed houses, interior walls that are not "technically" load bearing, have become load bearing over time as the house settles and moves so you really need to give it a good look over.

beelzebob voted this post useful.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: