Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Walls and Ceilings
Reload this Page >

Can you tape and mud plaster based drywall?

Old 03-20-23, 06:14 AM
M
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts

Hello, I plan on hanging drywall for my finished basement but I'm not sure if I'm going to plaster the walls or just use tape and mud. if I do plaster I'll need the plaster based drywall but if I decide to mud and tape can I also use plaster based drywall? I've been searching and reading for days and I've found some sites which say it's OK to use and other sites say that you should never mud and tape plaster based drywall.

I'm trying to hang the drywall and leave my options open for plaster or tape and mud but, do I need to make that decision now and hang regular drywall or plaster based depending on what I want to do. Here's the plaster based I was looking to buy.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/ToughRock-C...anel/999911563

Old 03-20-23, 07:17 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 824 Upvotes on 722 Posts
As far as I know all drywall is gypsum based, Blue board is for a plaster veneer, the difference is in the paper. I've painted 1 or 2 houses where things changed and the blue board got painted. The extra cost of the blue board is the only downside.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: