Ceiling Repair After Leak

Old 07-31-23, 03:49 PM
R
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Ceiling Repair After Leak

Hi All. Earlier this winter, there was a small leak in my daughter's ceiling. The roof was repaired externally, but I still need to patch and repair the ceiling inside (see photos).

At the time of the leak, I pulled back some of the paint down to the drywall. Everything is thoroughly dry, and the leak was so small - that I'm not concerned about rotting wood or mold inside the ceiling (right?).

I'm very limited when it comes to home repair, so I'm wondering what the best way is to get the ceiling back to normal-ish. It doesn't need to be perfectly smooth or anything. Would I spackle, sand, prime, and paint? Maybe add a layer of mold-killing primer just to be on the safe side? Any advice you guys have would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

Last edited by RandolphRoberts; 07-31-23 at 04:02 PM.
Old 07-31-23, 07:08 PM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,262 Upvotes on 1,203 Posts
Remove any additional loose material. Prime with an oil based sealing primer and then smooth with joint compound, not spackle. Prime and paint afterward. Likely will have to paint the whole ceiling to get the patch to blend.

Old 07-31-23, 08:11 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,900 Upvotes on 1,706 Posts
That crack in the first photo definitely needs tape. Fibafuse in setting compound would be my choice, followed by skim coats of joint compound as needed. On those areas of torn paper you will want to peel or cut back anything that is loose then you might want to roll on some Gardz first. Once that is dry, look for any areas where the paper still bubbled, and peel/cut them out, and hit those spots with Gardz again... then do the drywall finishing.

Old 08-01-23, 04:00 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 824 Upvotes on 722 Posts
Oil base will seal the torn/missing paper as good as Gardz does ..... and you'll need to oil primer to keep the water stains from bleeding back thru. Like X, I'd use a setting compound along with FibaFuse but FibaFuse can be used with regular joint compound and might be easier for you.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: