Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Walls and Ceilings
Reload this Page >

Advice with plasterboard layout on ceiling

Old 10-13-23, 09:43 AM
A
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts

Hi there,

My partner and I are in the process of plasterboarding all of our ceilings, we have a small room (2770mm by 2430mm) but we are unsure of the best plasterboard configuration. Our plasterboards are 2400mm by 1200mm. The distance between the left wall and the middle of the first joist is 75mm, from the middle of one joist to the next is 460mm, the middle of the last joist to the wall is 360mm.

If we lay our plasterboards side by side, perpendicular to the joists we will have a 30mm gap at the end, is this something we can work with and fill in with expanding foam? Or what is the best way to go about this? Any help is greatly appreciated!

Michael

Old 10-13-23, 09:57 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 839 Upvotes on 736 Posts
It's always best to hang the drywall across the framing.
I'm not good with metric measurements but it looks like 30 mm is just over 1"
Is it feasible to cut a board short so the next piece can make it to the end?

Old 10-13-23, 02:35 PM
T
Received 51 Upvotes on 43 Posts
Looks like you are going to have to buy three plasterboards in order to stagger your joints as you hang them perpendicular (across) the joists. So you will have some waste. You can cut the 30mm strip off the ends of the waste. That is hard to do. Do you have tapered edges on your boards? If not then you can cut one side of the new boards a little narrower in order to have a wider gap which is easier to fill. If you have tapered edges this might be better on one side just to eliminate a tapered edge against an edge that is full thickness. In the angle with the wall you can probably get away with filling the joint compound a little fuller to compensate for the offset if you do use the full width sheet and leave the tapered edge.
An alternative which I would be tempted to do but it is not ideal is to split that 30mm into thirds, one on each edge and one in the middle. Fill those 10mm gaps in with mud first before you tape it. Not ideal because your joint tape is about 51mm. You would have to center it exactly over the joint and gap. And you would not have much taped on the ceiling side of the angle if you tape the wall angle. Maybe you don't intened to tape the angle, that is fold the tape. If so you can flat tape it and it would work If I were to do it this way I would use setting joint mud to prefill the gaps.
Are the walls plasterboard or plaster?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: