Knockdown tools/technique used?

Old 01-29-24, 06:14 AM
M
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Knockdown tools/technique used?

Hi all,

I was looking for advice on how to match this ceiling texture.

Old 01-29-24, 06:33 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 840 Upvotes on 737 Posts
Knockdown texture is normally achieved by spraying on a splatter coat and then dragging a wide knife across it. Some will apply the mud with a stomp texture type brush and then drag the knife. That texture looks kind of random. How big of an area do you need to replicate?

Old 01-29-24, 10:35 AM
T
Received 51 Upvotes on 43 Posts
About how large and area is included in the photo? This looks like a sort of skip trowel texture. Some kind of tool, maybe a broad knife or a trowel or maybe even a hand with mud was dragged across the ceiling in a hit and miss fashion. Sometimes the points are knocked down or shaved off after the mud firms up a little. I can't enlarge this enough to tell for sure. Get some mud and experiment a little. if it is not right wipe it off and try something else.

Old 01-30-24, 07:53 AM
M
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Hey guys,

Thanks for the replies. I added a larger picture to get an idea of the overall texture. In terms of what i might be repairing. There's a handful of very thin hairline cracks that spread pretty far which from what i've read cause by poor taping methods, so eventually I'll want to fix those, but am worried if i can't match the texture at least somewhat close, my repair will be substantially more noticeable.

Old 01-30-24, 09:38 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 840 Upvotes on 737 Posts
I'd make the repairs and then try a skip trowel technique over the repairs. I'd opt for thinner rather than thicker mud. Worse case scenario - you sand or wipe it off and try again. Unless you attempt is horrible, most folks won't notice.

Mike Chabot voted this post useful.
Old 01-30-24, 07:09 PM
T
Received 51 Upvotes on 43 Posts
How to do it:
First study the existing to try to figure out what tool was used to do it:
4” taping knife — probably not
8 - 12” taping knife — maybe
12” plasterer’s trowel — maybe. This is my preference

thin some mud down more about that later
put a small amount of mud right on the edge of the trowel and drag it across the ceiling with no pressure so the ceiling pulls some of the mud off in a hit and miss fashion
OR
wipe a thin layer of mud on the face of the trowel and apply as described above.

Maybe after the mud has tightened up some go over it again to smash down the points or after it is dry shave the points off. From your pictures I don’t think this was done.

What mud: you have a lot to choose from. If you have only a small area buy a gallon rather than the 5 gallon bucket or a box.
Thin the mud down a little and then try it. if it is too stiff thin it down some more. You can always make it thinner but it is hard to stiffen it.

So experiment a little with the tool and the mud. If it is not right you can wipe it off and try again
the most common mistakes are probably using the wrong consistency of mud and applying too much texture. Remember this is a skip trowel texture.

Mike Chabot voted this post useful.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: