Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Walls and Ceilings
Reload this Page >

How Do I Cut and Install This Ceiling Patch?

Old 03-01-24, 12:32 PM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts

Hello,
A plumber cut the ceiling to gain access to the drain pipe of the bathroom upstairs. The elbow of the pipe hung below the sheetrock. Now that he is finished working, how can I repair the sheetrock? That looks to be expert cutting and fitting. Is it even harder than it looks? It appears to be 1/4" sheetrock. It looks like the upper left corner sits on top of the tile on the vertical wall (or on top of the vertical wall sheetrock).
What's the best way to cut this piece and install it? How do I cut out the sheetrock to allow for the hanging pipe? How do I get the other piece in the corner? Is it one piece or more? Is there a trick that makes this simpler than it looks? I have attached a photo for reference.
Thanks

Old 03-01-24, 05:02 PM
T
Received 53 Upvotes on 45 Posts
What’s is the darker item in the northwest corner of the picture? It looks like the remaining drywall sags. It might be a good idea to cut out what sags. maybe you can push it up and new screws ill hold it up but still might be better to cu it out. Basically you want an opening with nice square corners and as nearly square or rectangular as hou can get it. I there something o screw new drywall to on the left side as shown in the picture? Did the drain trap extend below the finished surface originally? Do you want to leave it that way.
So get yourself a nice square or rectangular hole and if you extend the cut shown on the right side extend the cut so the side of the hole is to the center of the joist
You can cut this with a sharp utility knife or a pointed saw made for this use or with an oscillating tool. Use what you have. Pull out all the nails or back out the screws, Measure carefully and leave yourself 1/8” room on each side to fit note new piece in. Measure carefully to cut out for the trap. Mark for your joists and screw the new piece in. There are plenty of posts here about taping and finishing the patch. I am a little concerned about how you will hold the left side as shown n the picture. I would install a nailer a little ways out from the edge straight ahead so you can get some screws into something solid.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: