Mold or mildew

Old 03-20-24, 02:23 PM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 4 Upvotes on 3 Posts
Mold or mildew

I have a bit of a story so I apologize in advance because it's going to be long. When hurricane Lord came through my storage building / outdoor kitchen got some damage. Water came through a little bit through a punctured wall but all of that was cleaned up. There was no standing water anywhere in the building. However the exterior was not quite up to Snuff and has since been repaired. I'm not seeing mold anywhere but on the sheetrock near the floor I'm seeing what might be dirt, mold or mildew I don't know. I'm not going to be going out there to take a picture today as I've been in that building for too long today

As an experiment I took my broom and I was able to Wipe all of it off and the sheetrock looks fine So I'm not sure what it was. It is very dark though but it doesn't look like mold spots. So I'm wondering what it could be without having an actual picture of it.

It doesn't go across the entire building but it's in spots. The building itself is pretty dry now and it's all sealed back up. I have mold on one section of ceiling sheetrock but it is well taken care of and it's about to come out. I sprayed that area with so much mold killer right after the fact that it should have kept that from spreading. I'm going to remove extra sheetrock just to make sure. But my question is really about the stuff closest to the floor.

I have been out there in that building too long today cleaning so I need to limit my exposure so I'll have to post a picture the next time I go inside.

Old 03-20-24, 03:13 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,231 Upvotes on 1,990 Posts
Do you have a question or something we can help with?

Old 03-20-24, 03:37 PM
J
The question is what is it? Could it be mildew or am I going to have to replace all the sheetrock? I thought I was clear in my discussion earlier.

Old 03-20-24, 03:46 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,948 Upvotes on 1,748 Posts
Mold and mildew are basically the same thing and since there are no pictures this really is a waste of time. You can see it, we cant. You say you're going to remove extra sheetrock so that should take care of it.

Old 03-20-24, 04:17 PM
W
Received 25 Upvotes on 21 Posts
Limiting your exposure? Wear a mask. Consider also that you are dealing with mold not radiation. Do a bit of research (CDC is a good place to start) and you will find that reactions to most molds are relatively minor.

No pictures will get you no assistance.

Old 03-20-24, 10:13 PM
J
I apologize if I'm wrong but it seems like you're frustrated that I asked a question. I mentioned that I wasn't going to take a picture today I didn't want to go back in the building. I'll get you some tomorrow I'm just asking general questions at the moment. If I'm asking a question I'm looking for general knowledge about a subject.

Old 03-21-24, 04:09 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 860 Upvotes on 752 Posts
As an experiment I took my broom and I was able to Wipe all of it off and the sheetrock looks fine
If it removes with a broom it's likely dirt and not mildew. Are there any water stains on the drywall?

Old 03-21-24, 05:01 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,231 Upvotes on 1,990 Posts
It obviously bothers you to the point you don't feel safe entering the room. So, I wouldn't even bother with posting. Just treat the problem. Whether you call it mold or mildew the treatment is the same.

Old 03-21-24, 05:30 AM
W
Received 25 Upvotes on 21 Posts
Mildew is a certain type of mold. The removal treatment is the same.

Old 03-22-24, 01:40 PM
J
Didn't mean to be brash earlier, doesn't bear explaining just apologize. Here are the photos. I would like to note that this is only in a few places it's not everywhere. The building was always more humid than it should have been. It did not have baseboards nor did it have flooring. I plan on doing both but not before I test to make sure I don't need to treat the concrete further.

Please note that the wall is dirty, what's above on the painted area is trash dirt whatever you want to call it.

This is after I swept that area

Old 03-22-24, 02:10 PM
Group Moderator
Doesn't look like drywall to me.

Old 03-22-24, 04:23 PM
J
It's definitely drywall. You're looking at where the paper came off of it. But I can assure you this is drywall, half inch. I was there when it was installed.

Old 03-22-24, 06:22 PM
Group Moderator
Typically the thing to do is snap a chalk line 24 1/2" off the floor and cut that drywall off. If it was ever wet you will also find some mold on the paper on the back side of the drywall. And if the water wasn't too high, that should get most of it. Plus that's half a sheet and it makes good use of materials. I like to get a rolling mechanic's tool cart to sit on when it's time to tape the joints. Easier on my old bones.

Old 03-29-24, 03:40 PM
J
I think some of the problem too is that the drywall is sitting right on the concrete. They did not leave any kind of Gap. I'm not going to go around the entire building and try to cut a little Gap but that's what I think happened.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: