Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Walls and Ceilings
Reload this Page >

How would you repair this mobile home ceiling?

Old 04-06-24, 01:03 PM
D
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts

We have a friend that has this water damaged ceiling and would like to help her repair it (the water issue on the roof has already been addressed).

What material is used up there and how would you repair/replace?

Old 04-07-24, 03:59 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 873 Upvotes on 764 Posts
How old is the NH? The older ones with the 'flat' roof typically used celotex on the ceilings. The new ones with the 3/12 pitch roof use some sort of plastic panels.

I'll assume that one has celotex. I don't know if you can buy replacement panels. What I've done in the past was to use drywall instead. Drywall is heavier than celotex so you might need to beef up the framing.

Old 04-07-24, 05:11 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,973 Upvotes on 1,770 Posts
If you have loose insulation (such as cellulose) on top of that ceiling that is a giant mess waiting to happen, if you remove any of it the insulation often falls down if the paper it is sitting on top of gets torn. Mobile homes typically also have very little structure to attach anything to in the ceiling.

I'd say you probably want to try to find any joists (they aren't really joists, more like really crappy trusses). Tap nails in or drive screws in until you find them, then snap chalk lines to show the center of each truss and then put more flat 1x3 battens on them. Screw the battens up, then put up some sort of prefinished 4x8 sheet goods or maybe a thin beadboard ceiling that you could pin nail to those battens. If you use 4x8 sheet goods you'd put lattice strips over all the seams. And put a trim around the perimeter of the whole room. If you use beadboard you would install it like a floor. Some beadboard also comes in 4x8 sheets.

As much as you might like to help I think I'd run from helping with this problem. Working on mobile homes is terrible work.

Old 04-07-24, 06:06 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 873 Upvotes on 764 Posts
(they aren't really joists, more like really crappy trusses).
All the ones I've encounter on the flat roof MHs used 1x2s laid flat [top and bottom] with scrap paneling for gussets. I've always tried to sister a 1x or 2x to those 'trusses'

XSleeper voted this post useful.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: