Drilling Through a Stucco Wall Safely

Old 04-10-24, 07:18 AM
P
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Drilling Through a Stucco Wall Safely

I have a patio with a stucco wall. On this wall is a washer and dryer, and I want to hang some shelving above them. So there are both electricity and pipes in the wall.

This is a condo unit, and the other side of the wall is the stucco patio wall of the other unit.

The closet system I want to install is the ClosetMaid Shelf Track, which requires drilling a few horizontal holes to install the track and a few vertical holes to install the standard.

There were old ClosetMaid shelves installed by the builder that fell down a while ago.

I know a stud finder won't help with this.

How can I drill into the stucco wall to avoid electricity and pipes?

What anchors are recommended for holding a 48-inch closet system in the stucco?

Old 04-10-24, 09:02 AM
T
Received 55 Upvotes on 46 Posts
A couple suggestions: Do the pipes and wires probably come from above or could they come from below where you want to put the shelves. In other words there may be less in the wall at the location you want to put the shelves than you imagine.
Look for the studs. You might be able to guess the location from the outlets and the washer connection box if there is one.
Yea, three suggestions If you have real, conventional three coat stucco it is about 3/4" to 1" thick. Put a stop or a depth marker on your bit. You will feel when you are through the stucco. Stop pushing then
You can take a stiff wire like a coat hanger wire and probe around for obstacles like pipes and wires. Be careful.

I would do this first: guess where the studs are then using the smallest masonry bit you can find drill holes carefully and hunt for the studs. With light pressure you will know when you hit a stud. The next stud will be 16" left and right of that. However in some walls with plumbing the studs are not spaced perfectly.

Now about anchors. Well you don't want an anchor that has a screw that will penetrate the wires and pipes. All the care in the world not to hit a pipe when drilling can be undone with a screw.

Maybe your neighbor has something on his side that is mounted into the studs. Careful measurements can help you transfer to your side.

And finally. are the holes from the previous system still there? use those for reference to find probably safe locations.

Old 04-11-24, 04:28 AM
B
Received 321 Upvotes on 283 Posts
First thing I would do is check the condo contract to make sure my anticipated activity is allowed.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: