Drywall and building code?

Old 06-09-24, 11:44 AM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 8 Upvotes on 7 Posts
Drywall and building code?

I realize this may differ from one jurisdiction to another... But I'm wondering. I'm putting a door at the bottom of a staircase that leads to an unfinished basement. One side is exterior wall and the other is open to the basement.

One the open side I'll be framing and hanging drywall. *The purpose of the door is to have it locked.

The question: Does the drywall I hang along the open side of the stairs need to be taped and mudded to meet code or can I leave it as it for a while? I'll finish it eventually but just need to section off the area for now.

This all passed inspection wide open when the house was built 10 years ago.... but does hanging drywall by default require it be taped and mudded?

Thanks all

Old 06-09-24, 12:58 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,979 Upvotes on 1,774 Posts
Technically it should be but if you aren't having an inspection there is no big rush to get it done. Just the first coat of tape is tge minimum required and that wouldn't take long.

Old 06-09-24, 03:18 PM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 8 Upvotes on 7 Posts
Appreciate it Im pretty careful now after sometime ago my (now previous)insurance company denied me a based on something that was totally unrelated to the claim being deficient

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: