American water heater won't light

Old 01-30-15, 02:54 AM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
American water heater won't light

I have an American water heater model number FG1F4034T3NOV that won't light. It started with the pilot light going out when the burner would go off. I took it apart cleaned the thermocouple, pilot tube and air vent and it still did the same thing. The thermocouple tested good but replaced it anyway and still the same. Then one day the pilot wouldn't light anymore so I figured it must be the gas valve so replaced that and still nothing. The thermal switch has continuity and bypassing it don't help, it has the new door with the flame lock system. I don't know what else it could be and can't afford a new water heater and my family needs hot water desperately. Any help is greatly appreciated, thank you in advance.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-30-15, 12:10 PM
H
Received 5 Votes on 4 Posts
You might try American tech support. Sorry you have an American. I have only experienced one, but it failed at 9 months. I replaced bad thermocouple and it worked perfectly for six hours before failing again. I vaguely recall a reset button on the gas valve that had to be pushed after replacing thermocouple.

Old 01-30-15, 02:14 PM
B
Thank you for the info. I just don't understand what could be wrong with it, new gas control valve, New thermocouple and thermal switch is closed. There isn't much more that could keep it from working but thank you again.

Old 01-31-15, 11:32 AM
B
Replaced the water heater, finally got hot water.

Last edited by Byrdman78; 01-31-15 at 01:21 PM.
Old 01-31-15, 05:59 PM
Received 86 Votes on 76 Posts
Replaced the water heater, finally got hot water.
What brand did you buy? Another American?

Old 02-01-15, 04:06 AM
B
No, I bought a Richmond, not a very good band either from what I read but it was that or another American and I didn't want to do that

Old 02-02-15, 03:11 PM
H
Received 5 Votes on 4 Posts
Sorry you had to replace. Richmond is made by Rheem. I have had a GE, also made by Rheem, in my house for 9 yrs. Not a single problem. Hope you have the same luck.

Old 02-02-15, 05:48 PM
B
Thank you, good to know. Still can't imagine what could have been the problem but I'm glad I replaced it.

Old 01-01-16, 06:06 PM
S
Whirlpool Hot Water Heater fg1f4034t3nov-Pilot won't stay lit!

Merely want to post my experience with the above issue, if it might help someone.

My Whirlpool gas water heater is model FG1F4034T3NOV. Suddenly, the pilot wouldn't stay lit (actually on a few occasions), all of which I fixed.

If you haven't called the Whirlpool 800# already, maybe do that. (800-817-6750)...and tell them your problem.
But there are a few things to try beforehand.

So to start with, this model has an "enhancement kit" (free-ship from the 800#) It changes the thermocouple kit to a right-handed screw-in part, not left handed as it originally came with. It also corrects a design defect.

However, you CAN try the things below, FIRST before you do anything else:
* Take a clean toothbrush, shove it underneath the bottom of heater (brush-side up) so you can try to clear the bottom air-vents which could be clogged or blocked by dust. Then try lighting the pilot. But if that doesn't do it?
* Next, try pushing the tiny white button at the bottom right. It's not actually a button. It's a tiny white round thing with a teensy tip on the top. It's solid and one piece, so it doesn't physically recess. But push firmly on it anyway. Then try lighting the pilot again per the instructions.
*The last thing to try, which surprisingly just worked for me today? Is to remove the the ends of the 2 little white wires at the bottom right of the knobs. They should be connected on each side of that little white circular button.
The wires are merely attached by pushing the wire ends on & off.
Once removed, clean all contacts the best you can with fine grit sandpaper or fine steel wool. Then, push them back on solidly to where they were.
You may need to use pliers to pull them off. But probably only your fingers to push/put them back on.

Now this last tip above, was what worked for me today, as I mentioned. The 800# guy suggested I try it before calling my plumber.

In 2010 btw, I got that enhancement kit and had that installed by a plumber. In 2014, when the pilot light wouldn't stay lit again, pressing hard on that little white button fixed the problem. This time....it was the little 2 white wires that apparently didn't have clean, solid contact.
Good luck!

Old 01-03-16, 10:04 AM
Received 86 Votes on 76 Posts
Whirlpool Hot Water Heater fg1f4034t3nov-Pilot won't stay lit!
Just another American water heater.

Old 02-01-16, 12:36 PM
H
Interesting. I have to try cleaning the filter and cleaning the wire contacts.

My pilot drops out randomly, but seemingly only in cold weather. I thought it was getting blown out by furnace on shared flue, but it dropped when the furnace hadn't been on most of day due to warmer weather here in VA.