Cost estimate to replace gas hot water heater ...

Old 02-28-16, 05:19 PM
G
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Cost estimate to replace gas hot water heater ...

Hi,

I'm looking for a cost estimate to replace a similar model AO Smith Gas Hot Water Heater PowerShot. IName:  100_0380.jpg
Views: 783
Size:  34.6 KB.

I had a local HVAC guy stop by an gave me a quote for $1,800 including installation. However, I have friends tell me this sounds a bit on the high side. Since I'm no handyman I thought I'd reach out to you experts for some assistance.

Thanks in advance for your reply.

-Greg

Sponsored Links
Old 02-28-16, 08:00 PM
Super Moderator
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
I'm no expert, but yeah, that sounds high. What you have looks like it's plumbed and wired ok as is (assuming the T&P valve is to the exterior), so it should be a simple swap.

I may be completely off...wait for the Pro's to check in.

Curious though, why would you call an HVAC tech instead of a plumber?

Old 02-28-16, 09:24 PM
F
Received 35 Votes on 27 Posts
All things considered, that might not be a bad price. A lot depends upon the prevailing wage rates in your area along with "incidentals" such as permit cost, dump fees for the old heater, any seismic strapping or flexible piping required and the like.

Also, that is a power vent heater and they normally cost from 50% to 100% more than a conventional water heater. So start with a cost of $600 to $800 just for the heater and go from there. In my area a conventional water heater replacement will cost about $800 on the low end and maybe as much as $1200 on the high end.

Best to get several estimates, I personally think five is better than three, toss out the lowest and highest and then select from the remaining based upon things other than cost.

Old 02-29-16, 06:20 AM
G
Thanks Furd, that's very helpful to know.

Old 02-29-16, 06:37 AM
G
Hi Gunguy45,

Thanks for your reply. Actually, I misspoke, it was a plumber that gave me an estimate of $1,800. The HVAC guy suggested he could replace for $3,000. I called him because my hot-air gas furnace went down too.

To give you a little background, under my kitchen sink I had two pipes (hot and cold) with slits approximately 1" high. It was 2 weeks ago when we experienced a very cold spell and after things warmed up again those pipes burst. About 4" of water leaked into the basement of my condo and I thought the water is what caused both the gas furnace and hot water heater to go out. The HVAC guy replaced the ignitor on my furnace and now I have heat again.

Since I'm new to this forum, how soon will the pro's check in on this list?

-Greg

Old 02-29-16, 06:50 AM
G
BTW, in my orignal photo it's difficult to read the specs so here's a photo with more detail:
Name:  100_0429.jpg
Views: 258
Size:  38.2 KB

Below are essential details if it is helpful:

Model FPS 40 216 cap U.S. gal 40 no FPS 40-J00N010000
Ser. MA92-0012008-216
Gas type Nat BTW HR
Elec. Sup 115 VAC 60 HZ min circ amp 15 max fuse amps 15

Old 02-29-16, 07:48 AM
P
Temporarily Suspended
There is no space to work. That could be part of the price too. Who's idea was it to build so close to the hot water heater?