Intake air from garage?

Old 04-02-16, 09:52 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Intake air from garage?

Discovered a cracked gas valve today on my ancient tankless water heater, so off to the box store for a replacement. I have been planning for this for a while anyway and intend to realign the vent locations for this and the furnace. The old water heater has dbl wall steel up through the roof, but the new will be a high efficiency model using pvc. As such, it would be most convenient for routing purposes if I can pull the intake air from the garage. Any issues with this?

Old 04-02-16, 09:54 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,262 Upvotes on 1,203 Posts
Yep, you don't want to create any (potential) openings between the garage and the house.

Old 04-02-16, 10:22 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
As a fire stop or fume protection? There already was an opening there for a heat duct to the garage. I thought it was pretty useless, undersized for any effective heating of a two car garage, and suspected it was where the mice were coming into the basement, so I boarded it up a few years ago.

Alternative is to run across joists to the outside wall where the furnace goes now. Hope to move the furnace vent over a couple of feet, use the existing hole for the water heater and make a new hole for the new intake. This would be behind the a/c condenser unit outside.

I am assuming it would be imprudent to vent directly behind the a/c unit, so the problem becomes how to cross the intake/vent lines over each other in a distance of 4 ft while passing below the joists and still maintaining the slope they require.

Old 04-02-16, 09:08 PM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,262 Upvotes on 1,203 Posts
Fumes. Regardless of the reason, sealing up that heat vent was a good idea.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: