Egg/Sulfur Smell

Old 08-08-16, 08:46 PM
A
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Egg/Sulfur Smell

Could use some advice on this one.

Bought an older house at the end of June, loving the place but I knew things needed to be replaced. While on the walk through I didn't notice the smell and it's not mentioned on the inspection. I am on city water, however it's a very small town (less then 1k population).

I asked the 4 neighbors that I know and all of them use some sort of house filtration system and have used that for years so can't recall if this was an issue with the city water or not. I currently just have a water softener.

I get an egg/sulfur odor whenever I turn on the hot and cold water. However, when I use the hot water it's much more strong/pungent smell. I'm wondering if it smells on cold water because there is residue (or something?) still left there from the hot water. The smell with the cold water can sometimes be so mild that I often wonder if I smelled it the last time or not. When it comes to the hot water, no doubt, 100% all the time, on all facets, smell.

My water heater is a Richmond 6G40-36F with a manufacturer date of 05/2004.

I've been searching online to try to find out what kind of rod was used in these heaters but haven't found if a magnesium rod was used or not. If the rod was never switched out, would it even matter what type of rod was used at this point?

So my question that I need advice on is, based on the information above, what are the chances that this is just a rod that needs replacing?

Old 08-09-16, 03:14 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Upvotes: 0
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
Most likely it is the sacrificial rod making the smell. It is replaceable and a new one may help. It will depend, also, on your water supply, so having the water tested would help determine if an ancillary means of filtration is needed.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: