corroded pipe


Old 09-25-16, 10:13 PM
Thread Starter
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: san diego, ca
Posts: 85
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
corroded pipe

This is a photo of the pipe that goes into my gas water heater. As you can see, rusted and corroded to a point that it's coming down on the covered pipe below it. It looks like I will need to bring in a professional to fix but I was wondering if anyone has any advice on this fix?Name:  IMAG07102.jpg
Views: 150
Size:  20.5 KB
Old 09-26-16, 04:48 AM
Norm201's Avatar
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: United States
Posts: 9,745
Received 318 Votes on 285 Posts
What's on the other side of the wall? Take another pic but farther out so we can see the tank and surrounding area.
Old 09-26-16, 05:42 AM
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: North East Kingdom of Vermont
Posts: 2,533
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
It may be that the Valve Stem Packing needs replacement . . . . or maybe just re-tightening.
Old 09-26-16, 05:47 AM
Group Moderator
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: NC, USA
Posts: 24,728
Received 787 Votes on 724 Posts
If you had addressed this sooner I think the packing nut of the valve just needed tightening. Now that it's leaked so long you'll have difficulty tightening it but it's worth a try. If that doesn't stop the leak the packing may need to be replaced if the valve can be disassembled.
Old 09-26-16, 07:24 AM
Handyone's Avatar
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: U.S.
Posts: 5,450
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
If copper is coming out of the wall, this is a fairly easy fix if you can solder pipe. Since you're in CA, it's probably copper.
You need a new ball valve, some elbows and pipe, and maybe a few other fittings.

Beware, this is an easy fix but be careful calling a large plumbing company, it could cost some ridiculous amount. I would stick with the licensed small guys.

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Ask a Question
Question Title:
Your question will be posted in: