Water heater exhaust clogged?

Old 11-10-16, 05:53 PM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Water heater exhaust clogged?

Hello, I live in a mobile home with a gas water heater. One day I came home from work and noticed a sound coming from the master bathroom. The sound is humid, pressurized air coming up from a weak seam in-between the tub and floor (not the floor per se, as the back half of the tub is at a raised level compared to the floor). Anyways, a couple days later, I noticed that the hot water runs out after about 5 minutes showering (not sure how long the hot water would normally last, as my showers are usually much longer than 5 minutes and I have never had a problem before). I have no idea what could be wrong, other than these 2 symptoms are related. Other things to note: the master tub with the humid air leak is at the opposite side of the house as the water heater, and it also seems as hot water is sitting in all of the pipes because hot water to the opposite bathroom usually takes a couple minutes, and right now it gets hot within about 5 seconds. Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 11-10-16, 06:01 PM
C
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
I would suspect a hot water leak. Turn off the water supply to the trailer and see if the noise and humid air stops after a short while.

Old 11-11-16, 06:03 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 634 Votes on 586 Posts
Someone needs to go underneath the trailer and investigate. You could have a leaking pipe or water heater.

Are you on city water? If so you can make sure nothing inside the trailer is using water. Then go look at your water meter. If you see a little red triangle spinning or a blinking flow indicator then you have a leak.

Old 11-11-16, 06:49 AM
A
Received 81 Votes on 75 Posts
You have a hot water leak in the vicinity of the bathroom at the far end away from the water heater.

The leak is constantly bringing new hot water to that end eliminating the wait for hot water there.

The leak has been wasting lots of hot water causing you to run out halfway through your shower.

Leaking hot water greatly increases your gas or electric bill. To reduce this waste, shut off the water when no one is using any.

Last edited by AllanJ; 11-11-16 at 07:05 AM.
Old 11-11-16, 11:23 AM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thank you so much for the replies thus far. Seems y'all have diagnosed the problem. Another question I have about turning the water off: When I turn the water off, do I need to turn the water heater off too, thus avoiding "burning up" the heater? Thanks.

Old 11-11-16, 11:29 AM
F
Received 35 Votes on 27 Posts
You absolutely need to turn off the power (electric) or gas to the water heater if you turn off the water, in fact, turn off the power BEFORE turning off the water is the best policy.

Likewise, before turning the power on you need to first turn on the water and then open a hot faucet to purge out any air. Failure to do so could destroy the water heater.