Hot water tank questions

Old 01-28-17, 09:25 AM
Received 258 Votes on 231 Posts
Hot water tank questions

Sometime this year I'll be getting a new tank. Current one is approaching 17 years and although I still have hot water and no leaks, I think it's about that time.

Is there any advantage/dis-advantage to a tall vs short HW tank? I can accommodate either. In terms of heating efficiency? (I'll be using gas vs electric)

What is the low down on NoNox feature? Important, not important, necessary? Never had it before!

How does the self cleaning feature operate? Does it really work and what do I have to do to make it effective? Is it any better than periodically draining a gal or two. (Which I don't do anyway)

Opinion on the Rheem brand HW tanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-28-17, 12:22 PM
F
Received 36 Votes on 28 Posts
With a gas-fired water heater the taller the better. Taller means a longer passage for the products of combustion to transfer heat to the water which means lower stack temperatures and higher overall efficiency.

NOx is oxides of nitrogen, an air pollutant. Lower NOx is better from an environmental position. Local regulations may require low NOx design.

Self-cleaning water heaters have a curved dip tube that imparts a swirling action to the water. This has a tendency to keep solids in suspension rather than letting them settle to the bottom of the tank. It may require faucet aerators to be cleaned more frequently.

Rheem makes competitive water heaters, perhaps not the best but definitely not the worst.

Old 01-28-17, 01:18 PM
Received 258 Votes on 231 Posts
Furd,

Thanks. Did not know about the curved dip tube. I just happened to look at the RHEEM units at HD. Not sure what brand I'll buy. Had Rheem furnace that lasted over 30 years and stilled work after replace with combo furnace/AC unit.

Oh...the newer HW tanks now have WiFi built in? What the heck do I need that for? I have never changed my water temp in a tank or for that matter never touch my thermostat for heat either.

Old 01-28-17, 10:11 PM
F
Received 36 Votes on 28 Posts
You're welcome.

For what it's worth, I have a Rheem that I bought at Home Depot. I was able to sweet talk them into free delivery,mostly because the young woman plumbing department lead wanted to get outside for an hour.

Mine doesn't have WiFi and I don't know why someone would want it except to be able to say, "My water heater has WiFi!" But then, I think most (not all by any means) of the so-called "smart house" mania is a bit stupid and a waste of money.