damage to pressure tank

Old 02-07-17, 09:44 AM
S
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
damage to pressure tank

I visited a cabin last week in the mountains. I thought I had drained the water good like I have for 10 years but there was apparently some in the lower pipes and pressure tank.
Not much. But when I turned on the system the switch just went crazy of and on,off and on
.. I got any ice of the pipes and there are no leaks anywhere in the house or pipes at all.

But now the pump goes on every 10 seconds instead of every 5 minutes. The dial says it charges to 60 psi but if I open a faucet the needle falls immediately and the pump switches on.The needle use to fall slowly.
I dont want to overwork the well pump. It has always been good for 15 years.
Its a Franklin 2 hp submersible. The well is about 90 ft.
Did I damage the pressure switch???? Or is there still frozen water in the pressure tank??
I turned on the heat in that room for 24 hours and it gets to 54 but it feels cold to the touch and nothing else is frozen. The hot water tank is working normal and it makes a little heat in that room. The temp in the room is about 42 normally in winter if I lived there but this place is unheated for 4 months at a time for the last 7 years.It was very cold when I opened it up again.
What do you recommend??? If I have to buy another switch I would like one that is better and has the dial built in to the switch. My pressure gauge now is separate from the switch.

Old 02-07-17, 10:26 AM
C
Received 86 Likes on 68 Posts
It's possible the switch was damaged, but more likely the pressure tank bladder has been ruptured. There should be a schrader valve (tire valve) on the top of the tank. Remove the cap and press in the stem. If any water comes out, you have a ruptured bladder.

If no water comes out, it's possible the bladder is frozen in a chunk of ice, but after a day with the heat on I would have expected it to melt...maybe give it a little more time.

Old 02-07-17, 10:46 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 1,705 Likes on 1,524 Posts
Since the pump is turning on and off that leads me to believe the switch is working. I suspect the pressure tank. I would first either give it more time above freezing or put a heater in there to insure that it is thawed.

You can also try turning off the pump and opening a faucet until the water stops. That should empty the tank and it should be pretty light and easy to move. If it's quite heavy then it's likely the diaphragm is ruptured and the tank will need replacing. If you try opening/pressing the schrader valve on top for water it can be inconclusive. If there is a bubble of air at the top you will still get air even when the tank is mostly full of water. And, if you open the valve long enough to be certain you don't have an air bubble then you need an air compressor to pump the tank back up.

Old 02-07-17, 02:20 PM
S
i have a compressor so I will try that.

Old 02-07-17, 02:49 PM
S
i drained the air totally and no sign of water. I put 31 psi back in. My switch is running about 53/33 so thats what the manufacturer suggests.
Oddly that seems to have improved the situation. I dont know if its fixed totally...I will see but I am getting a new switch anyway just in case. If it is fixed what do you think happened..???

i found this video...his problem with air in the bottom of the pressure tank can cause cycling.... might be my problem..
https://youtu.be/7ekOTlRwKLY

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: