Moving water heater drain pipe

Old 02-10-17, 08:24 PM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Question Moving water heater drain pipe

Firstly, thank you guys so much for the help. I was able to do four pieces of medium-duty home maintenance since I moved into this house. I have saved a ton on labor costs. I hope to be able to give back someday.

Firstly, here is a picture of my current set-up.

Name:  IMG_9547_Ink_LI.jpg
Views: 833
Size:  30.5 KB

I am finishing my basement, and I will be building walls around the utilities, and a wall will go where the blue lines are. I am thinking I can move the drain (what is under the floor) to inside where the closet will be. Then I will cut the current PVC drain pipes and point them towards the new drain location.

Am I missing anything important with my current plan? Any other advice.

Happy Friday everyone!

Attached Images  
Old 02-10-17, 08:31 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,951 Upvotes on 3,544 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

I'm not the plumbing pro but I'm questioning PVC for the T & P relief valve on the water heater. I believe it should be copper.

In my opinion.... it would appear moving the floor drain is going to be a lot more work than just moving the wall a few inches.

Old 02-10-17, 08:45 PM
D
Just to make sure, the "I'm questioning PVC for the T & P relief valve on the water heater", is about the pipe that is running vertically along the hot-water-heater? Yea, a lot of the pictures that I saw online had copper there.

Yea, moving the wall a couple of inches is definitely the easier option! I will have to go and remeasure to see what that will do to the clearance of the hallway that wall will eat into.

Old 02-10-17, 08:54 PM
D
Here is a picture that shows a little bit of my motivation for the move. I was hoping to build the wall right under that 4" I-beam.

Name:  IMG_9557.jpg
Views: 446
Size:  32.5 KB

Hope that helps.

Old 02-10-17, 09:02 PM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
Here they sometimes use CPVC but yes PVC would be a no.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: