Electric instant hot water heaters

Old 03-08-17, 07:05 PM
Received 154 Votes on 140 Posts
Electric instant hot water heaters

Hi All,has anyone had experience replacing a 40 Gal water heater with an instant hot unit? If so which mfg. are best?
Geo

Old 03-08-17, 07:35 PM
C
Received 28 Votes on 23 Posts
Do you mean an electric tankless water heater? Insta-hot is usually used to describe a little undersink unit to make small amounts of hot water.

Assuming the former, I think most here generally do not recommend electric tankless. Do you have gas available?

Old 03-08-17, 08:12 PM
Received 15 Votes on 13 Posts
Given the outside temperatures in your location and depending on the size of your family you might need one that requires two 60 amp feeds to give adequate hot water. Even if your current breaker panel is 200 amps you might need to replace it with a 350 amp panel. That could cost $2000 and up. Of course in some cases the electric company might charge you for having to increase their supply also.

On the other hand I installed a 60 amp one in a much warmer part of the country for a lady who lived alone and she was happy with it so it all depends on your situation.

If you have gas just installing a traditional tank type gas water heater will save you money in most areas. A gs tankless heater might also be an option but they can be more expensive to install because of cost of increasing gas supply and special high temperature venting requirements.

Old 03-08-17, 09:22 PM
F
Received 36 Votes on 28 Posts
Where I used to be gainfully employed they installed a number of electric tankless water heaters, mostly made by Stiebel-Eltron. They will burnout almost instantly if the water flow is interrupted for even a second or two. Unless you are only using it for a hand-washing sink the size of the wiring and needed power is huge.

Might want to read this: Tankless Electric Water Heater FAQs | Stiebel Eltron USA

Old 03-09-17, 04:59 AM
Received 154 Votes on 140 Posts
I should have done a little research before I did this post,I had know idea they drew that kind of power,a few years ago I replaced a neighbors 120 Gal electric WH with this device he had mounted on the wall and I believe I used his existing feed, he was completely happy with the way it worked,2 people in a small house and plenty of hot water.
Geo

Old 03-09-17, 06:12 AM
B
Received 42 Votes on 38 Posts
Hi Geo and all,
I don't see the advantage of a tankless hot water system over a tank full of hot water ready to go. I do the energy loss calculations for homes and modern day hot water tanks are well insulated plus, if the location is within the heated space any small amount of heat loss just contributes to the house at least for winter heat. Point being, if the tank is well insulated and all pipes in the immediate area are insulated the dollars lost are minimal, way below justifying a major replacement.

Once a home owner limits their use of hot water the payback gets even smaller.

Bud

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: