Temperature adjustment- can't turn off power

Old 04-05-17, 02:58 PM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Temperature adjustment- can't turn off power

I just joined and this is my first post, so my apologies if this has been answered before.

My landlord just installed a new Whirlpool electric hot water heater in my apartment. The temperature is set to something ridiculously low - the water hardly feels hot. I was about to take the panels off to adjust the temperature and noticed that it says to cut the power before taking the panels off.

Here's my problem: the circuit breaker is locked in the basement of the apartment building and my landlord would never be willing to come over here just to turn the power off to the water heater for me (slight slumlord - surprised he even installed a new unit).

Is there any way to cut the power to the water heater without access to the circuit breaker? Or is it really even necessary to cut the power just to make a temperature adjustment? I'm not planning on tinkering around in there, just make a quick change to the thermostat.

Any help is appreciated. Thank you!

Sponsored Links
Old 04-05-17, 05:10 PM
D
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Have an electrician pull the meter for a few minutes.

Old 04-11-17, 05:42 PM
A
Received 89 Votes on 82 Posts
Someone with just a little electrical experience can open up the hatches and adjust the water temperature with the power still on.

There may be a pointer or knob on the temperature adjustment but alternatively just the slot to be turned using a screwdriver will point at the desired temperature.

Ordinarily the temperature adjustment is not live but if you want to you can stand on a few layers of dry cardboard and keep one hand in a pocket while making the adjustment.

Old 04-11-17, 06:05 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
There may be a code violation. Of course all code bottom line is local but normally if it isn't in sight of the breaker box a disconnect switch is required at the water heater.

Old 04-11-17, 06:11 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,187 Votes on 1,098 Posts
Have an electrician pull the meter for a few minutes.
That's pretty heavy duty. He could just make the adjustments.

By code... there is supposed to be a disconnect method for the water heater at the water heater. If the landlord did it himself..... he conveniently skipped that requirement.

Once the thermostat covers are removed you are exposed to high voltages. It's fairly easy to readjust the temperatures. You don't want to touch any of the numbered contacts.

Name:  HW thermostats.jpg
Views: 65
Size:  36.1 KB