Water heater loud banging

Old 04-29-17, 01:00 PM
G
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Water heater loud banging

I have a 5 year old 50 gallon whirlpool gas water heater installed by Lowes. It makes loud banging noises when heating. I drained the tank and flushed the sediment out last year. Prior to that it had never been flushed. I can try flushing it again but have doubts it would help. Should I call a plumber? Is there anything else I can do to save this thing? Think I paid $1300 for this new. Thanks.

Old 04-29-17, 01:14 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,513 Votes on 1,399 Posts
I flush mine out every year and never had any banging. Every year the fire department flushes the hydrants and the water is full of crap. I've never had an issue until this year. The banging was really bad.

I've flushed it several times and still get sediment out of it. The banging has been reduced but I still have not been able to eliminate it.

The only other thing I may try is draining the tank, removing the drain valve and using a wire hook to manually remove sediment.

Old 04-29-17, 05:00 PM
A
Received 134 Votes on 123 Posts
There are different reasons for noise one of which is moisture at the bottom of a sediment layer turning to steam. The latter is more likely if the layer of sediment is thick.

If the water heater has not been flushed for years (or ever) then when you do flush it then only a small channel might be carved through the layer of sediment. After a week or two the sediment resettles and the next flushing carves out a little more sediment. So it may take several flushes over a period of time before the sediment layer gets thin enough to reduce noise.

Turn off the water heater heat before doing a gravity flush or before draining more than a gallon or two ( incoming cold water shut off). Refill the tank until water gushes from a hot faucet for a full minute before turning the heat back on.

Old 04-29-17, 08:48 PM
G
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
So, keep flushing is the only answer.

Old 04-29-17, 08:57 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,513 Votes on 1,399 Posts
So, keep flushing is the only answer.
Unfortunately....yes as there is no way of getting into the tank other then thru the drain valve.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: