Water heater drain valve

Old 08-01-17, 06:00 PM
Thread Starter
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: usa
Posts: 3
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Water heater drain valve

Hello everyone I was wondering if anybody could point me into the right direction into finding a replacement water drain valve. I have went to home depot, lowes, and a local plumbing store and non of them carry this drain valve. Ive searched online and havent had any luck. My water heater is an older Gama American water heater from 1991. Thanks!

image host sites
Old 08-01-17, 07:56 PM
PJmax's Avatar
Group Moderator
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Jersey
Posts: 65,136
Received 3,996 Upvotes on 3,586 Posts
That water heater is +25 years old. It may not even warrant a repair.

The tank has a 3/4" pipe thread for the valve. There is a good chance if you tried to change that valve that the plastic body would crack. The cracked piece left in the tank could be removed but it's not easy.

Does that valve leak or is it broken ?
If it's just leaking you may be able to put a hose bib cap on the threaded part to stop the leak.
Old 08-02-17, 09:08 AM
CasualJoe's Avatar
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: United States
Posts: 9,874
Received 185 Upvotes on 166 Posts
Years ago I replaced a similar plastic drain valve with a 3" brass nipple and ball valve. For the last 20 years flushing the tank has been a breeze.
Old 09-01-17, 03:53 AM
Phil_01's Avatar
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: USA
Posts: 4
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
CasualJoe thats a really clever solution, ill bear that in mind
Old 09-01-17, 06:24 AM
lawrosa's Avatar
Super Moderator
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Galivants Ferry SC USA
Posts: 15,993
Received 85 Upvotes on 77 Posts
Yup just use a brass nipple and a valve from the home store. But there are similar types around..

SP12159B - Rheem SP12159B - Round Poly Drain Valve w/ Concentric Handle (3" Length)

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Ask a Question
Question Title:
Your question will be posted in: