Hot Water Heater Rust

Old 08-09-17, 03:47 PM
A
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Hot Water Heater Rust

I was changing the vent pipe on my hot water heater while it was off I looked down inside of it and noticed a lot of rust, Is this something I should be concerned with? Name:  2017080495181354.jpg
Views: 202
Size:  32.7 KB

Old 08-09-17, 04:00 PM
S
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Do you see rust coming out of the hot water tap in the sinks? I flushed a hot water tank for a client once.

Old 08-09-17, 04:32 PM
A
No I have never seen rust coming out of the tap.

Old 08-09-17, 04:36 PM
A
Received 278 Upvotes on 254 Posts
Some water vapor is generated during the combustion process so it is possible to get rust in the flue running up the middle of a gas water heater. This is a separate topic from the omnipresent and unavoidable rust on the inside caused by the water being heated.

We won't rule out rusting out of the tank in the flue area but if you don't have water dripping onto the floor you probably don't have a leak -- yet.

After you flush or drain sediment from a water heater, there may be some sediment residue still floating around in the water and that may be seen in the water coming from any faucet. It is a good idea not to wash clothes for several hours after flushing the water heater, so any rust or sediment can settle out.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: