Water heater pilot

Old 09-25-17, 12:51 PM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Water heater pilot

We stopped getting hot water, checked the water heater, pilot was out, simple fix. I relit the pilot. Problem is the little ignition part that sparks the pilot has the tiny little red knob on it, and if it gets bumped in the slightest of fashion it trips the power and kills the pilot. Must have been how it went out in the first place, got bumped? So I cant put the cover back on without hitting that little knob, not that I hit it while putting it back on, but the cover just rests on it. The cover is off for now and I'm not sure how safe that is or healthy for the heater. So my question, is that little red knob supposed to function like that as some sort of safety measure or do I need to replace the ignition? Cant figure out why its been fine for years and now suddenly I cant put the cover back on without killing the whole thing. Thanks in advanced for any advice. Heres a picture to show what I'm referring to. I can give additional water heater info if need be.

Attached Images  
Old 09-25-17, 04:40 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,476 Votes on 1,364 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

A make and model of the water heater would be a big help.

That looks like a manually resettable temperature safety switch. That part has nothing to do with the spark ignition. If that switch detects an overheat problem the red button pops out killing the entire heater. Pushing it back in resets the heater.

If putting the cover on pushed the red button in.... the unit won't operate correctly. Possibly the door got hit and is bent in.

Old 09-27-17, 06:56 AM
D
More Info

The tank is operational right now as you see it in the first picture, so I assume that red button is in its normal position? The cover doesn't appear to be bent, but maybe I'll try to bend it outward a bit to see if that helps. Strange that the tiniest little bump will kill the pilot.

Attached Images  
Old 11-04-18, 09:59 PM
B
My problem is similar I lit the pilot and the main burner kicked on. As I went to simply replace the safety cover at the bottom of the pilot access, I bumped the pilot tube and thermocouple ever so slightly and the gas valve clicked off, click! what do you think that means, Cliff.

Old 11-10-18, 08:16 PM
A
Received 130 Votes on 119 Posts
Do the large white tabs attached to the white wires pull off and push back on the gizmo with the red center button shown?

If so, try unplugging and replugging the white tabs several times which will clean the contacts they make with the gizmo.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: