Six Year Old Water Heater - Banging Noises

Old 04-12-18, 07:01 PM
G
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Six Year Old Water Heater - Banging Noises

In Phoenix, have six year old Whirlpool 50 gallon gas water heater made by US/Craftmaster Water Heater Company. Every time it fills, we hear loud banging and thuds. Loud. Water heater in garage. We can hear on other side of house.

I know the sediment does this.

I drain the sediment out all the time regularly. Not helping. I flush it. Not helping.

Is this thing going to die soon. Should I proactively replace before the tank ruptures.

Thanks

Old 04-13-18, 09:21 AM
A
Upvotes: 0
Received 278 Upvotes on 254 Posts
Does sediment come out every time you open the drain valve? Try again at 2 week intervals instead of 6 month intervals.

What do you mean by "it fills"?

Turn off the water heater heat before doing a gravity drain of the water heater namely with the incoming (cold) water turned off. Open a hot faucet, turn cold water back on, and see water gushing out for a whole minute befrore turning the heat back on.

Old 04-13-18, 09:22 AM
G
Thanks. I have done the drain procedure many times. Not helping. After someone takes a bath or shower using hot water, the thuds start inside the water heater.

Old 04-13-18, 10:18 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,155 Upvotes on 1,929 Posts
When you drain the sediment you only get some of it. Over time deposits build up on the bottom of the heater and there isn't much you can do about it without resorting to drastic measures.

Old 04-15-18, 11:09 AM
G
Do you think should start looking to replace it. If I look now, I could buy one before I am rushed if I wait until it fails. I guess the banging noise is so loud, I would have to assume the end is very near?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: