Help setting up drainage around water heater concrete pad

Old 12-06-18, 04:36 PM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Question Help setting up drainage around water heater concrete pad

I had a 48 year old Rheem 50 gallon water heater (short model for a crawlspace) that had zero maintenance at all, pretty amazing. It was on a concrete pad with the relief valve connected to a copper pipe pointing towards the ground besides the water heater. I bought a new Rheem 38 gallon 4500 watt that's 31in high by about 23in wide and set it on styrofoam on top of the concrete. The old water heater was completely rusted on the bottom and leaking under it slowly, and the pressure relief was dripping occasionally besides the water heater.

I'd like to setup some kind of emergency drainage system and also use it for the relief valve drain and for draining the water heater, but I can only install a drain pipe on one wall facing the backyard which would drain under the deck and have to cross the crawlspace in front of the door (so you would be stepping on or climbing over a pipe unless i can bury it). Assuming I can setup some sort of drain through that wall, is the best option to lift the water heater and put a large drain pan under it that's connected to the drain pipe and have the relief pipe drain water into it? I'd like to combine this with some sort of floor drain in case of a flood but I've never done anything like that.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: