Solar Vacuum Tubes and Water Heating, questions....

Old 04-07-19, 09:43 PM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Solar Vacuum Tubes and Water Heating, questions....

Hello All,

This is kind of a continuation from an earlier thread, as I am considering alternative water heating methods. Anyhow, I have decided to go with a solar water heating setup to compliment my existing 50ga natural gas hot water heater.

I am considering vacuum tubes that will heat up the cold incoming potable water prior to entering my existing NG hot water heater. Any advice or direction for proper setup would be appreciated. I do have one immediate question.

Can I run the heated solar water directly to my existing NG hot water heater or should I run it to a holding tank first and then run it to my NG hot water heater?

Thanks,
Ralph

Old 04-08-19, 06:44 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,344 Votes on 1,242 Posts
Solar vacuum tubes ??

To be solar it needs to be outside. So..... that means you will be running the cold water supply outside to be heated and then returned inside to supply the water heater. What if it gets cold outside..... will it supply colder water in..... will it freeze ?

Most solar water heater systems I've seen run a heat exchanger before the water heater and the solar on the roof is a sealed glycol system so it can't freeze. Some use thermosiphon to circulate the water..... while others have small circulator pumps.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: