Water heater no hot water

Old 08-10-19, 09:48 PM
W
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Water heater no hot water

My water heater suddenly does not work this evening. It is natural gas water heater (automatic storage water heater). Model is PR650NBRT by State Industries, Inc locates in Ashland City, IN.
I went to attic to check the heater, it is cold.
Is there anything I could try before replacing?
Thanks

Old 08-10-19, 09:58 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,951 Upvotes on 3,544 Posts
Water heater in the attic...... interesting.

Is the pilot light lit ?
Page 23 in the manual discusses how to light it and make sure it's on.

Reliance manual (pdf)

Old 08-12-19, 05:45 AM
W
my pilot and water heater

Mine is different from the manual. Attached picture for your ref.

Name:  wh1.JPG
Views: 857
Size:  66.6 KB

Name:  wh2.JPG
Views: 624
Size:  59.9 KB

Last edited by PJmax; 08-12-19 at 04:34 PM. Reason: reoriented/resized pictures
Old 08-12-19, 04:36 PM
Group Moderator
Only two of the images were needed.

You can remove the lower white access door to see if the pilot is lit. If it's not.... light it.
You'll need a long lighter or long match to light that pilot.

That is set pretty hot too.

Old 08-13-19, 04:56 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,153 Upvotes on 1,928 Posts
This has nothing to do with your lack of hot water, but I would strap or somehow secure the top of the water heater to prevent it tipping over. It's commonly done in earthquake prone areas but a tall water heater in an attic with a unsupported gas line hanging out in the open so far is asking for trouble.

Do you know where your temperature and pressure safety valve (T&P) pipe ends or empties out? It's the pinkish plastic line coming from the top right of your heater. That is part of the safety system for the heater and it's a good idea to periodically look at the output end of that pipe. If you ever see water dripping from it there is some problem with the heater or it's T&P safety valve.

Old 08-13-19, 03:15 PM
W
(1) Checked top cold water inlet and hot water outlet are both clean of water. Safety valve is also very dry, never see any water come out.

(2) It is very clear there is no fire lit (If there is, when I turn thermos to high, I could hear lit sound. For safe, I have turned off gas inlet valve. It looks I should turn gas ON, what special attention I should pay before do it?

Old 08-13-19, 03:25 PM
G
Received 28 Upvotes on 27 Posts
If you don't feel comfortable relighting the pilot, call a professional service person whose references you have checked. Have him show you how to do it.

There are other maintenance items you probably haven't been doing. One is draining a few gallons of water from the tank at least every year. All this is covered by the instruction manual.

From you pix of the attic installation, I'm wondering how you can drain water from the heater - where it will drain to? Maybe snake a bucket under the drain valve, and schlep the water downstairs?

Old 08-27-19, 06:38 AM
W
pilot lit

I try to pilot lit. Attached are pictures. Should light white head or burner or somewhere else. Should I clean the white head? Thanks

Attached Images   
Old 08-27-19, 05:49 PM
R
Received 3 Upvotes on 3 Posts
Do you have the installation/operating manual for your HW heater? If not, try finding one online, print it out and keep it near the appliance.

Hard to tell from the pics, but I think the "white tip" is the thermocouple... when they fail the pilot will not light. You can try cleaning it with some very fine sandpaper, but in my experience once a thermocouple fails, it will fail again shortly even if cleaning it makes it work again...better to replace it or, if necessary, replace the whole pilot assembly.

See: https://www.doityourself.com/stry/re...-wont-stay-lit

Old 08-27-19, 06:15 PM
Group Moderator
Yes....that white part is the thermocouple and is the area where you will light the pilot. You need to turn the knob on top of the gas valve to [pilot] and then push the knob down while lighting the pilot. You will need to hold that knob down for one minute after the pilot lights. After one minute let go of the knob. If the pilot is still lit.... turn the knob to [on]. The burner should light.

If you let go of the knob and the pilot goes out. Wait one minute and try lighting it again. If after the second lighting it still goes out.... call for service.

Many gas providers have excellent servicemen and the charge is minimal..... if they charge at all.

Old 08-31-19, 07:32 AM
W
I have tried to light the pilot, while holding down the knob at "pilot" position firmly, nothing happens (no lit). I set lighter small fire on white tube(?). Does it mean some parts need be replaced? Water heater: PR650NBRT.
I tried twice, one is set thermos at "Pilot Lighting" position, another is set thermos at "Low". Any others need be paid attention? Is it possible that lost natural gas supply? Called gas company and was told that gas supply is normal.

Thanks

Old 08-31-19, 08:15 AM
Super Moderator
Received 84 Upvotes on 76 Posts
If its a series 100 replace the heater. not worth spending money on it.. I can look up a few things for you if you provide the serial # of the unit.

Old 09-20-19, 07:39 AM
W
Model PR650NBRT
S.N: J01422693
By lucky, pilot burn once, now it is shut off again.

Old 09-20-19, 08:52 AM
Received 185 Upvotes on 166 Posts
Mine is different from the manual.
Yes, I would expect so. The manual is for Reliance Water Heaters manufactured by American Water Heater and you have a State Water Heater that is manufactured by AO Smith.

Old 09-22-19, 05:30 AM
Super Moderator
Received 84 Upvotes on 76 Posts
Let us know if you still need assistance. That heater is from 2001.. replace it. dont waste $$$ on it..

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: