Plumbing professional

Old 09-02-19, 11:06 AM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Plumbing professional

I have an aquatherm unit for my central heating and cooling. My last water heater only lasted 2 years due to issues... (continue reading). My new water heater was installed Jan 2019. I have water that sometimes comes out the T&P valve and it has happened with my other 2 year old water heater that failed. I have had a pressure reducing valve placed, my psi is 60, my temperature is on the triangle (so within temperature limits). I also had an expansion tank placed, as well as a new T&P, and it occasionally is still tends to spew out water at T&p valve!!!!! I called First Co. who manufacturers aquatherms and they said to remove the heat traps off of the water heater, because this occasionally happens with new water heaters. I removed the heat traps and purged the air out of the system up where my a/c is. Andddddd it has still happened once that I have seen so far, water coming out of T&p!!!
...... My plumber recommended to me that I place a new check valve and air bleeder on the patio where my water heater is. Do you think this will help with the problem? Mind you, I also had 2 HVACS come out to look at my aquatherm unit and got it serviced, and they said the unit is fine. I am out of options here are really need some help.

Old 09-02-19, 01:41 PM
B
Received 293 Upvotes on 260 Posts
How do you know the pressure is 60 psi? Can you check the hw temp. with a thermometer?

Last edited by beelzebob; 09-02-19 at 01:42 PM. Reason: forgot space
Old 09-02-19, 04:41 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,952 Upvotes on 3,545 Posts
Does the water heater only run the Aquatherm coil ?

Old 09-02-19, 05:42 PM
B
@beelzebob
I had another plumber come out and change the pressure from 46psi to 60psi

Old 09-02-19, 05:51 PM
B
PJmax I have no idea...the water heater is for my hot/cold water for my condo and also is connected to the aquatherm for heating/cooling (a/c and heater). My plumber said that I could just turn off the aquatherm shut off valves...but to me that defeats the purpose of having it right? And what will happen when winter comes and I turn it on. It will prob still spew out of T&P randomly

Name:  wh1.jpg
Views: 134
Size:  55.6 KB

Last edited by PJmax; 09-02-19 at 06:33 PM. Reason: reoriented/resized picture
Old 09-02-19, 06:20 PM
Super Moderator
Received 84 Upvotes on 76 Posts
can you take a pic where the exp tank is located? And where said PRV and check valves are in relation to the exp tank?

Also when installing said exp tank the pressure needs to be adjusted in the tank to match the homes incoming pressure.. 60 psi if accurate the exp taank psi has to match. They often are pre charged to 40 psi only.

Old 09-03-19, 09:18 AM
B
Received 293 Upvotes on 260 Posts
Unless T&P valve is defective, it only operated when pressure and/or temperature is exceeded. You need to monitor HW temp and pressure to insure they are not exceeding the T&P valve ratings.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: