no hot water second floor

Old 10-24-19, 08:57 AM
H
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
no hot water second floor

have gotten a used house and have an issue of getting hot water to second floor. Have a gas 50gallon hot water heater. Most of the faucets are all in one...one faucet for both hot and cold...get water but very little hot...one is a two handle faucet....will get hot water after I run the water for ever. am thinking of turning up temp contro on heater....other than that don't have any ideas...

Old 10-24-19, 10:05 AM
Received 185 Upvotes on 166 Posts
Turning up the thermostat to make water hotter won't make the hot water make it to the 2nd floor any quicker.

Old 10-24-19, 12:38 PM
P
Received 19 Upvotes on 18 Posts
Is the volume of water from the hot side of the faucet an issue? you didn't offer anything on the age of the house, the type of piping or the age of water heater. Some ideas to consider include: corroded steel pipes, excess sediment in the water heater or debris in a valve. More info would help diagnose.

- Peter

Old 10-24-19, 04:05 PM
H
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
no hot water

house built around 2003...copper pipes....hot water heater not too old. get good pressure upstairs...on 1 valve faucet..can run water forever and not get much hot water...run the 2 valve faucet...gets hot water...I know turning up the thermostat on heater will not get the water up, but though that it might help because the water feels so cold. if I have to start taking faucets apart to look at the seats and springs...that could be fun sence they did not put many shut off values in...

Old 10-25-19, 09:32 AM
Received 185 Upvotes on 166 Posts
house built around 2003...copper pipes....hot water heater not too old. get good pressure upstairs...on 1 valve faucet..can run water forever and not get much hot water...run the 2 valve faucet...gets hot water
What pipe sizes are run to the second floor? If they used 3/4" copper it will take a long time to get hot water up there even with good flow and pressure. The 1 valve faucet, is that a single handle faucet? It could be a low flow faucet intended to save water or it could have a low flow aerator on it, also intended to save water. I have a single handle Moen vanity faucet that had low flow till I replaced the aerator with a standard one from True Value, now I have great flow that I can easily throttle back when I don't need the high flow.

Another possibility is that you have heat trap nipples at the water heater designed to save energy. With copper pipe it is amazing just how far up those copper pipes the heat will migrate with no water flow at all. With the heat trap nipples you have as much as an extra 10 to 15 feet of pipe with cold water that must flow to the second floor bathroom before the hot water gets there.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: