Temperature dials on electric water heater

Old 11-22-19, 09:23 PM
Received 11 Upvotes on 10 Posts
Temperature dials on electric water heater

I've always been confused about these temperature dials on the thermostats of our 50 gal electric water heater. The upper one appears as in the first photo, the lower one appears as in the second photo. Is it typical to want to set both dials to approximately the same temperature, or should one be set higher than the other for any particular reason? Also that top one especially has me confused; I can't be at all sure where the adjustable "pointer" or indicator on the dial is set because I can't really tell what is in fact supposed to be the pointer. The lower one is relatively self-explanatory with a clear pointer that is pointing (as pictured) halfway between the HOT hashmark and the hashmark up to the right of it. Any advice/suggestions on how to set these appropriately? My hot water has been at these settings and is actually hot enough for bathing/showering and washing dishes in the sink but actually I'd prefer somewhat hotter but not excessive of course.

Old 11-23-19, 04:05 AM
Received 721 Upvotes on 640 Posts
It seems self evident to me by looking at your pics that the white tap indicates the temp range. As you move both clockwise, you increase water temp.

Can't speak for an electric water heater (only installed one), but water is drawn from the lower end or bottom of tank. So I would think you want the lower setting a bit higher than the upper one. The upper one keeping the water temp warm to allow it to be heated up quickly as it gets drawn to the bottom. This is wrong as pointed out by Bladwin below. Brain was not in gear when when accelerator was pushed!

How about our plumbing experts chiming in.

Last edited by Norm201; 11-23-19 at 04:33 AM.
Old 11-23-19, 04:22 AM
B
Received 13 Upvotes on 9 Posts
Norm, have some

Cold goes to the bottom, you draw from the top. I've always read to keep both at the same temp.

Old 11-23-19, 04:31 AM
Received 721 Upvotes on 640 Posts
Of course, What was I thinking? I was thinking of the cold water dip tube and and got my directions mixed up. Thanks for the wake-up call. DUH!

Old 11-23-19, 08:03 AM
Received 185 Upvotes on 166 Posts
Also that top one especially has me confused; I can't be at all sure where the adjustable "pointer" or indicator on the dial is set because I can't really tell what is in fact supposed to be the pointer.

Both top and bottom thermostats appear to be set the same as they should be. If you want hotter water, adjust both thermostats slightly higher by turning both adjustments clockwise.

sgull voted this post useful.
Old 11-23-19, 08:09 AM
Group Moderator
Received 3,952 Upvotes on 3,545 Posts
The settings should be kept the same or the upper one can be set a few degrees hotter.

I'd recommend marking where they are set now with a fine tipped marker so that you can always return them to that point.

Old 11-23-19, 08:14 AM
Received 11 Upvotes on 10 Posts
Both top and bottom thermostats appear to be set the same as they should be. If you want hotter water, adjust both thermostats slightly higher by turning both adjustments clockwise.
The settings should be kept the same or the upper one can be set a few degrees hotter. I'd recommend marking where they are set now with a fine tipped marker so that you can always return them to that point.
Great. Thank you guys for those helpful replies.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: