Thermal Switch Keeps Tripping on LP Water Heater

Old 09-27-22, 08:33 AM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Thermal Switch Keeps Tripping on LP Water Heater

I am repairing a 50-gallon LP gas water heater manufactured by American Water Heater Company (Model BFG6150T403P). It is about nine years old and the pilot light went out and could not be relit. I have replaced the burner assembly and the gas control valve unit with new, cleaned the combustion chamber with a shop vac, and have temporarily removed the dust screen so there is adequate combustible air. The pilot lights on the first try and, after the thermopile heats up (about 30 seconds), remains lit with the correct indicator light flashing. The burner ignites shortly thereafter and appears to be operating normally. However, after about 10-12 minutes there is a “click” and both the burner and pilot shut off. There are no status lights that indicate what the problem might be.

It appears that the thermal switch keeps tripping. I can relight the pilot after resetting the switch, but it trips again after the burner has run for another 10-12 minutes. The thermal switch is new (it came with the new burner assembly) so I do not know if the switch is bad or if there is something causing it to trip. Any thoughts?

Old 09-27-22, 11:11 AM
C
Received 169 Upvotes on 137 Posts
Make sure there are no obstructions in the exhaust venting, like a birds nest or other animal nest, etc. Check the entire exhaust path all the way to outside.

Old 09-27-22, 08:48 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,950 Upvotes on 3,543 Posts
Many times the manufacturers will raise the thermostat limit temperature.
Did you check for a new subbed part for that water heater ?

Old 10-01-22, 10:21 AM
Received 185 Upvotes on 166 Posts
I am repairing a 50-gallon LP gas water heater manufactured by American Water Heater Company
Ok, it's made by American Water Heater Co., what brand water heater is it? Is this a Whirlpool water heater?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: