Reverse Osmosis Booster Pump Noise

Old 06-06-15, 03:46 PM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Reverse Osmosis Booster Pump Noise

New system with our new house. Turned on the reverse osmosis system to a loud clicking noise. The video below doesn't do justice to how loud it is, but gives you an idea. Any thoughts or suggestions on what is causing it?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jfz_DpaoJLc

Old 06-06-15, 07:36 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,420 Votes on 1,313 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

I'm not a pro on these systems but I do work on the control systems.
What brand and model is that pump ?

Old 06-07-15, 06:10 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 791 Votes on 728 Posts
I can't watch videos where I am right now. Where is the sound coming from? Is the pump working and are you noticing better pressure in the water coming out of the faucet?

Old 06-07-15, 10:17 AM
Group Moderator
It's a rhythmic click occurring every two seconds. It sounds like a relay closing. Not loud but noticeable. I thought I saw the pump shake one time at one click. That would lead me to believe that there may be a pressure sensing issue.

I did a screen snag.........
Name:  RO pic.jpg
Views: 4307
Size:  28.0 KB

Old 06-07-15, 12:33 PM
M
noise

Yes, the sound is quite loud, can be heard across the house. The phone didn't pick up the audio very well. When it clicks, it does shake the entire system slightly. The brand is Kemflo.

Old 06-07-15, 01:26 PM
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
Have you gone over the flow of the water?
Making sure that the pump is not starved for water?
Is the water turned on to the total system?

Old 06-07-15, 02:49 PM
Group Moderator
I was looking for a model number but it may not help as Kemflo has 0 technical support on their site.

Does the pump click like that when you are using water ?
Give us as much info as you can.

Old 06-07-15, 06:32 PM
M
It clicks like that as long as its plugged in. The clicking noise gets farther and farther apart over time. I have had it on now 24 hours, with clicking now at about 10 second intervals. I thought that eventually when the system got primed the noise would go away. I have disconnected the hoses in several spots according to the manual to clear any air in the lines to no avail.

Old 06-07-15, 07:05 PM
P
Group Moderator
Is the pump a new install? If so, is the pressure out of the faucet better after installing it? If the pump is not actually boosting the pressure it could indicate a broken part inside the pump. Even if the pump is toast the house's water pressure will keep things working so it helps to know if the pump is actually contributing to the pressure of the RO system.

Where is the pressure switch located? I don't see it in the photo PJmax posted. It's probably somewhere in the line from between RO system and the accumulation/pressure tank.

Old 06-08-15, 02:47 PM
M
Yes to all. Water flow is there, and comes out of the faucet with decent pressure.

Old 06-08-15, 03:02 PM
M
As far as I know, it was brand new when the house was emptied. It was an estate, and was installed after the house was empty. I am wondering if the click is the pump trying to start, but doesn't. Maybe a bad electrical connection somewhere or circuit.

Old 06-08-15, 05:34 PM
P
Group Moderator
I'm trying to determine if it's a mechanical problem in the pump or just something on the frame rattling.

Something inside the pump broken:
If something is broken inside the pump the houses water pressure can still operate the RO system so you might not know if the pump is working or not. Try unplugging the pump for a few days or a week (depending on your water usage) and see if you notice an overall drop in the system's performance.

Even with a pump you will get better flow and pressure when you first draw water after the system has had time to fully recover. Get methodical. With the pump still plugged in get a measuring cup and time how long it takes to fill it to a certain point. It is very important to do this when the RO system has gone a long time without being used so it can be fully charged. Try doing it first thing in the morning or when you get home from work. Then unplug the pump and use the system for a few days then repeat the test and see if it takes longer to fill the measuring cup to the same point.

Rattling frame:
If the pump is screwed or bolted to the RO frame remove the bolts attaching it to the frame. Leave the wires and hoses connected. Lift it up without putting too much strain on the water lines and place a folded over towel under the pump. Folding the towel several times to make it nice and thick will work better. If the noise goes away then it's something rattling. If the noise continues it will be easier to locate to coming from the pump.

Also pay attention to the water lines connecting to the pump. The pump causes the pressure inside the lines to go up and down with each revolution of the pump. This changing pressure can cause the lines to move and can sometimes be amazingly loud if they are banging against something.

Old 06-08-15, 06:27 PM
Group Moderator
If we are still discussing the noise on the video..... that is not a rattle. That is a systematic click from what sounds like the control circuit.

We're going to need more pictures of the equipment to diagnose the problem. Something tells the motor to turn on...... that's what we need to zero in on.

Old 04-26-16, 11:38 AM
T
R/O Booster Pump makes clicking noise

iSpring RCC7P 75GPD 5-Stage Reverse Osmosis RO Water Filter System with Booster Pump

FYI, I had this unit installed about a year ago and every time the pump activates it also makes a very load ticking noise.

It is annoying, but since we installed it in our laundry room, I just chose to ignore it.

I believe it is a feature of this model or possibly a defect.

Old 01-03-17, 09:12 AM
S
I have a ~10-year old Watts Premier system that has a "brine recycling" system where it pumps the brine back into our house hot water (this is what the Booster Pump is used for). It looks very similar to yours, and I have a similar but much worse clicking noise. Instead of the intermittent once every 10 seconds noise, it kicks on about every hour and makes a racket like a mouse playing the drums under our cabinet.

Based on some Google research, I think the problem is related to the "Auto Flush Flow Restrictor" which uses a solenoid to open a valve allowing for back-flushing of the system. It is supposed to be on a 1-hour timer and is powered from the same circuit as the pump.

The other item I'm researching is the "Electronic Shutoff Valve" which looks like it has a solenoid body that would cause this kind of "clicking". I believe the normal operation is for it to shut off the water supply line when the RO tank is full in order to reduce waste. I just fiddled with mine and after draining the tank, the pump kicked on, filled the tank, and then just as it finished running, I heard this little solenoid click a couple of times (indicating that it was turning off the valve).

You might want to look into these as the source of your issue.

Last edited by sbsyncro; 01-03-17 at 09:33 AM.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: