Kenmore Water Softener - all salt dissolved, water in tank

Old 10-23-15, 12:28 PM
K
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Kenmore Water Softener - all salt dissolved, water in tank

Month ago, checked our Kenmore water softener and found tank was full of water and all the salt (Morton Yellow bag) had dissolved to the bottom. I used long rod to "stir up" the salt (it is not a hard bridge), then force regeneration. I've done this off and on past few weeks (out for some travel in there too). This does not see to be helping recharge the resin (water has been hard).

So as of a few days ago, still 6? inches of salt at bottom that I can stir up with rod and maye 6-10inches water on top that. Some research said to clean the venturi so I did that last night - parts looked fine, screens looked clean. The gasket had very little wear and impressions of the channels. Should I replace it? Put it all back together and still have dissolved salt in bottom of tank after regeneration :-(

Questions...

-Normally, should ALL water be out of the tank after regeneration is complete?

-Do I need to get this dissolved salt out? Will it eventually get used up? Guessing that once the water is completely drained I'll end up with a hard dried block of salt shaped like bottom of tank.

Thanks!

Old 10-23-15, 01:07 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 9 Upvotes on 9 Posts
How old is the system?
Could be that there is a challenge in the valve.
On the inside there is a plunger and an o ring that looks like an 8 could be that or the over all seals in the valve are bad.
or if there are any parts of that gasket in the venturi that are missing that will need replacing.

Old 10-23-15, 03:03 PM
Received 3 Upvotes on 3 Posts
Is there a black flow control in the venturi (not the one in the bottom of the venturi housing)? If so, remove it. Advance the unit into a regen cycle. Press the select button again to put unit into a draw cycle. Mark a spot at the water level inside the brine tank and leave. Check in about 5 minutes. If the water level drops, unplug the unit for about 1.5 hrs. Plug unit back in and let it complete a cycle. Do not add any salt until it is down to about 1" from bottom or use a shop vac and clean it out.

Old 10-25-15, 07:56 PM
K
I bought it about 7 years ago but didn't get it installed until 4 years ago. haven't had a chance to try the ideas yet. thank you for the feedback.

Old 11-03-15, 07:00 PM
S
Red face Kenmore Ultrasoft 400 problems, water softener

Kenmore Ultrasoft 400 problems, water softener. 12 years old.
never had any problem with it before now.
Had a water test done and they reported that my water has hardness but is safe to drink.
I have a similar problem and the 4 ideas I have tried did not get the unit working.
White toilets started looking like they have a grey ring.
I have a sediment filter before the Kenmore Ultrasoft 400.
I change it every 90 days and it works because it looks like a piece of iron after 90 days
At first the unit did not recharge at all.
Checked for salt bridge found none.
Scooped all the salt out except half an inch.
Cleaned Venturi, looked OK but cleaned anyway
Cleaned screen, looked OK but cleaned anyway
Cleaned Valve at the bottom of the brine tank, looked OK but cleaned anyway
forced recharge.
Now unit recharges every few days and leaves sediment where the hose reaches the laundry basin. One of the ideas above from youtube may have made the automatic recharge work again or the forced recharge did it ,not sure.
It is a dry room so you can see a fine sand like sediment 1 day after each recharge.
the unit uses no salt
There is a little bit of water and salt in the brine tank
this never changes.
the low salt light comes on but I believe this light works on a timer because it doesn't use any salt.
there is a button for add salt and it shows a level on the screen as if you added salt
I would be most grateful for any help with my water softener problem!

Switchbacker

Old 11-22-15, 05:03 PM
K
I am still slowly working my problem. I cleaned the Venturi few weeks ago and have been stirring up the salt sludge every week...it's almost gone now. I just noticed a drip at the bypass valve, right where it connects to softener. it's dripping down into softener, barely. I am pretty sure this wasn't happening before, little trail of water is very clear now, would have seen it earlier. I did turn the bypass on and off once recently.

1-when the recharge is complete and in normal service, should there be ANY water in the salt tank?

2-is this a typical bypass leak? should I replace whole thing or just o rings that go into control valve?

Old 05-02-16, 08:53 AM
K
Just following up to myself..... while working on this noticed a small leak coming from the bypass valve which ran under the electronics and down into the salt tank. I suspect that may have been the problem; filling the tank with water and normal cycle didn't empty it completely (???). I replaced the plastic bypass valve with another from Sears and seems to be working fine again. I'll probably have to do this repair again since I think it was caused by the copper input/output lines not being at the exact height to match the softener. Need to install some flex lines to give a little slack and release constant pressure of the fixed copper pipes onto the plastic bypass valve. We'll see.......

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: