Resin Replacement Issue?

Old 02-04-16, 12:29 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Resin Replacement Issue?

Hi all,

Yesterday I replaced the resin in my GE water softener. Fun job! I did a quick check of the regeneration cycle and everything seems to work. I set the softener to recharge last night, and it did, with apparently no issues. Testing the water, however, shows that the water is not softer. It is harder. It's as hard as the cold line on the kitchen faucet that doesn't get softened. Thinking this must be a mistake, I ran another regeneration cycle earlier today. I tested again and it's at the same level. I cleaned out the venturi parts and there were no clogs in it. Also, I verified it's not in bypass mode (wish it was!).

There are no apparent problems that I can see. I watched the whole regeneration process and nothing was out of the ordinary (at least to me). No leaks or anything, and things appear to be working correctly.

Any ideas?

Last edited by Jay Dreyer; 02-04-16 at 01:48 PM. Reason: Added more info
Sponsored Links
Old 02-06-16, 05:15 AM
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
A couple things come to mind. The distributor o ring is out of place. This o ring goes on the dist tube and is the sealing point between the valve and dist tube. To test, put the unit into a draw cycle. Taste the drain water. If it is salty very quickly, the o ring is out of place. The bypass o rings are bad. Put the unit into a backwash cycle. Push the bypass from in service to bypass. If water continues to run to the drain, the bypass o rings are bad. New resin will have soft water before a regen.

Old 02-08-16, 07:51 AM
J
Thanks, biermech.

I ordered a new set of o-rings for the distributor. Hoping that's it. I do have the o-ring on the distributor tube, but maybe it's bad? I'll give your backwash test a try if that doesn't fix it.

Old 02-08-16, 12:46 PM
J
When you say the draw cycle, do you mean during the the brining cycle? I have fill, brining, backwash, fast rinse and service. Just want to make sure I taste during the right part.

I did the bypass test during the backwash cycle and the water stopped coming out of the waste line, so I don't think it's the bypass.

Old 02-08-16, 02:08 PM
Super Moderator
Received 60 Votes on 52 Posts
There is only one o ring on the dist tube AFAIK..

Read here...

Softenerparts.com

O ring here..

http://www.softenerparts.com/Oring_D..._p/7170254.htm

Old 02-08-16, 06:31 PM
J
Correct. I replaced the o-ring on the distributor tube, and the two o-rings on the distributor cap. I bought the o-rings from softenerparts.com.

Old 02-08-16, 06:38 PM
J
OK. So I replaced all of the o-rings related to the distributor tube and cap, regenerated, and still have no softened water. I then went and disconnected the bypass from the head unit so that I could make sure the distributor tube and o-ring were seated correctly. I tried everything again and still no soft water.

Old 02-08-16, 06:53 PM
Super Moderator
Received 60 Votes on 52 Posts
What are you testing hardness with?

Old 02-08-16, 07:23 PM
Yes, the brining cycle. This is when it pulls salt water. It should take some time before it reaches the drain. If the drain is salty very quickly, you have an issue with the sealing point. It does not sound like it though. Replacing the o rings, if it were the cause, would correct the problem.

Old 02-08-16, 07:26 PM
J
Success!

I was initially testing with a TDS meter, but found out that's not a good test. Switched to the Hatch with the dropper. Pretty cool.

So I pulled out the bypass stem, lubed up the 4 o-rings on there, reinstalled it and retested. Now I'm <1 gpg! Went from 26 gpg to <1 after lubing up the stem o-rings. Crazy.

Thanks for everyone's help!

Old 02-09-16, 05:51 PM
Good call. I wouldn't have thought to ask what type test.