The resin in the tank hasn't been changed since 1994?/

Old 03-21-16, 12:20 PM
B
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
The resin in the tank hasn't been changed since 1994?/

Should i change the tank resin, been a long time. This is a residential water softener nothing fancy about it. just a regular home softener.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-22-16, 06:24 AM
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Is the system providing hard instead of soft? Are you having pressure problems? Is your water salty after a regeneration? Do you have iron staining in the home? A no answer to these questions may be a no to your question.

Old 03-22-16, 11:37 AM
B
thanks biremech you just saved me alot of labor...bad back at present time bob s

Old 04-03-16, 08:27 AM
B
I am still getting slight rust discloration....?Should i go get a new one from lowes? The watercare store-place that bings our our salt-- wants $1200.00 i was told lowes or home depot they were much less expensive ...$500.00 neighbor hood. ...........if you think i need one? thanks bob s

Old 04-04-16, 05:32 AM
If the system is still working, changing resin may solve your problem but not sure what type system you have. I don't recommend systems from the big box stores.

Old 04-05-16, 05:34 AM
B
Name:  Elan water conditioner 001.jpg
Views: 358
Size:  32.6 KB

Hope picture came thru
This system i have is a simple typical home water softener.
Bob S

Old 04-05-16, 05:35 AM
That's a pretty good system. It is a modified Fleck 2500 valve.

Old 04-06-16, 08:06 AM
B
Thanks biemerch . It had the head all rebuilt a year or two ago, new pistons and all the necessary parts were replaced, The only rebuild its had, It was new over 25 years ago Water is all doing fine at the moment/ Crystal clear thats a good thing ......no thats a wonderful thing !appreciate you being here with the info, great day to you bob s

Old 04-07-16, 06:04 AM
Good day to you as well. Will in Mi next month (Warren area). Hope the weather is good.

Old 04-08-16, 05:29 AM
B
WEATHER in Michigan...... Here today gone tomorrow.it was in the 60s most of jan feb.. AND... March. Lately its taken a back seat. to cold(average) around 35 degrees the last 3 weeks or so.Heres an idea that is standard fare in Mich,your bring Jacket and some suntan lotion. When you turn your back....the weather will change again. I've been her since 1944,no going anywhere else this late, Have good time while your here. bob scharp thanks for your help once more

Old 04-09-16, 03:20 PM
B
rust again!!

Anyone have a quick easier way to get the rust out . My" Elan" softener is working and running well. But i remember this repair dude--- used to come in my basement- that worked for the local "watercare shop". I don't know what he did...with that straitened out paper clip/........ do you know?.......My water always cleared up great.He got so he left the paper cliip setting on top of the tank... hidden a little bit out of sight.What did he use that paper clip on /or for??????????? bob s ...and thanks.... for looking

Last edited by bsa_bob2; 04-09-16 at 05:16 PM. Reason: better title
Old 04-09-16, 05:43 PM
Most likely to clean the venturi throat and nozzle. I don't recommend a paper clip because it may scratch the inside. Are you using any kind of resin cleaner? If not, go to the local grocery store and buy Super IronOut in the cleaning aisle. Follow the directions for first time use. You can also remove the venturi throat & nozzle and soak them in a little water with the ironout in it. If you need to, order a new venturi and replace the old ones.

Old 04-10-16, 06:10 AM
B
How do i find the venturi throat nozzle?I can do this if, i can get the location of it.Whats it look like ? thanks for the help bob s

Old 04-10-16, 06:49 AM
On page 14 of this manual item # 17 is the cap for the venturi assemble. Be careful when taking apart so you don't rip any gaskets. Both the throat & nozzle screw into place. Put system on bypass and release the pressure. Take out the 2 screws holding cap. If you only take off the cap, unscrew the throat & nozzle. use the sticky side of some tape to remove. Clean & reinstall.

Last edited by Tolyn Ironhand; 04-10-16 at 07:19 AM. Reason: removed phone #
Old 04-10-16, 07:21 AM
Group Moderator
Received 223 Votes on 196 Posts
Biermech, I have removed your phone number for your own good. You would have likely received more unwanted calls then you could handle. Please send bsa_bob a personal message. Just click his name above to get started.

Old 04-11-16, 07:02 AM
B
No problem sir i appreciate your awareness.........if anybody dislikes the EXTRA unwanted phone calls more than i.......would sure like to meet him Again thank you

ps; i get caught up in the minute at times ....bob s

Old 04-11-16, 07:05 AM
B
Thank you much biermech for the info -great day at ya bob s

Old 05-07-16, 03:22 PM
B
i am getting very little water discoloration from rust in a weeks time.But its there. How do i fine tune this Elan softener/help please i'm going bananas between a new furnace and now maybe a new water softener bob s

Old 05-07-16, 05:39 PM
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
Is yours a meter unit or day unit?
If it is the meter unit then by changing the meter wheel from say 1200 gallons to 900 gallons could be the trick, day wheel changing that from every 6 days to say every 4 days might do it.
Also what is the raw water testing out at? Iron level and hardness level?
Then there is the size of the unit, amount of resin in use? and what is the salt setting for the unit at this time?
It could be that the iron and hardness has changed or the iron has changed and the comp hardness is now different from what it was in 1994 and thus the meter or day needs to be changed.

Old 05-08-16, 06:30 AM
B
thank you very much AKSPDVAN for coming to my rescue.This is an old 24 years [estimated age] its residential Idon't know the diff between day or metered. It has the timing wheel inside the cover, brine tank Elan black hth. the rep told me they set it for 200 because we are alone here kids are gone now.bob s

Fellow at the store says its soft water... after checking my sample. The tank of brine was filled all the way up to top almost. So i dipped that all out {water} about 4" off the top of the salt, now, for few days. Day wheel i just regenerate it with this, but don't know anything else on the wheel.appreciated much bob s anything else you know to share with me.

Old 05-08-16, 10:52 AM
I have put a link to the manual most likely to be close to what you have.
Down load and read and get back to us as to which style you have in meter or day as the manual shows and talks about both. In the back part of the manual is a part on trouble shooting.

http://waterpurification.pentair.com...nual-40097.pdf

Let us know how it is going after going through the book.

Old 05-11-16, 08:50 AM
B
Going a better route now! I am tired of this old water softener. I am looking for good info on what brand to purchase -in a new type ..model- etc. A machine that takes care of itself. At least alot more than this old ELAN,i now have .....its 25 years old. Please post here--- or pm me on the brand- that works the easiest . EVEN! with or without salt. if there is such a thing thanks again for helping Your knowledge on this is very helpful bob s

Old 05-11-16, 10:30 AM
So the current is past the point of saving? or is it past the point of understanding?

Every piece of Equipment will need rebuild or other maintenance it is the nature of things.

Old 05-11-16, 03:40 PM
B
Yes on both The water guys said; regen every third day a til Memorial day- i guess-then one week later, do the 7 day water filling containers, to check for rust. bob s

Last edited by bsa_bob2; 05-11-16 at 05:02 PM.
Old 05-11-16, 04:56 PM
So it sounds like the 12 day wheel or the day pattern.
If little water is used between cleaning cycles and the water does not return to clean iron free then maybe it is time for the media bed to be changed out.
That is simple enough and any home owner can do that.
And less to the land fill.....

Old 05-12-16, 05:53 AM
B
AKPSDVAN I should let them (water people) come back out and set this up one more time.before i jump into $1000.00-for a new one, You have me thinking now my friend. Older age isn't a blessing with me..It gets harder to make decisions.than it use to. thanks much bob s

PS i went downstairs to check it again The D*** tank is full of water AGAIN. I don't get it.

Old 05-12-16, 01:28 PM
B
WHY!!is the salt tank not pumping out.??

Old 05-13-16, 12:09 AM
Because the injector and screen are loaded and not getting the suction going from the valve body that would allow the brine to be pulled from the salt tank.

Have you gone over the book?

Every softener is 85% the same, what happens on one most likely happens on another.

What is different between the Ford pickup and the Chevy pickup? 1ton class.

The one that you have is a simple system, not lot of moving parts.

Old 05-13-16, 05:10 AM
B
Have not as yet looked ............just glanced thru it yesterday. She has me manning a garage sale today. But yes i will definitely look that link over closer this weekend. thanks again akpsdvan
Bob s

ps why is the salt not going down/ its stayed the same place for a week now?/

Old 05-13-16, 11:13 PM
Either the pins on the 12 day wheel are all in on one side, or the timer is not turning the wheel or the injector is plugged and there is no suction.
The brine piston could be plugged and not opening so for the suction to start.
Your there I am not, I am spit balling ideas as to things that I have run across in 26 years of work.

Old 05-14-16, 09:22 AM
B
Had the fellow ,who owned the Elan franhcise in my wifes garage sale this am. He told me that this softener was new in 87. But not to concern myself with that.part of it. Its the type you could rebuild it on/and on, and on. Jus a good one made to be here looooong time. A new after injector or clean the injector and screen i'd be good to go,!very easily- and the screen the same.He informed that the full tank of water, will go down as, new salt is put in the tank. So monday i'll go after this thing again and get it going right. thanks for hangin with me Ak and everyone else too bob s

Old 05-16-16, 05:43 AM
B
GOOD NEWS!the regenerating cycles have cleared up my water. Everyday...not jus part time.Happy.............. And when its working right, ..don't fix it.thanks for all the useful tips, that you members provided to me. Be back again see ya! till then Bob

Old 05-24-16, 02:43 PM
B
this piece of **** is not doing the job again black silt in the toilet bowls now rent one i think

Old 05-24-16, 04:50 PM
Here is a clue.

Go to Lowes or Home Depot and buy the 500.00 change it with what is there and move on.
Then in 5+/- a year replace the cheap one with another cheap one.

Nothing lasts forever. NOTHING.......not even the planet that we live on.

Old 05-25-16, 07:54 AM
B
YUP!!Movin on Friday!!! thanks to all who helped me on this sincerely Bob s

Old 05-25-16, 01:33 PM
B
How much resin does it take to fill a WATER SOFTENER bottle?