New water softener......worse than the old one

Old 09-13-16, 06:45 AM
B
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
New water softener......worse than the old one

I took out a 30 year old water softener and they installed a new one $1000.00 outfit.Now i get silt fine dark powdery when dry ..black silt. GUESS what! Installer Says Sorry bout that.but in 10 years you "retank" it. start over. B.S. Change the filter every month. Might help some .But GET USED TO IT Jeff says.Hard to spend $1000.00 for this and him say live with it. He didn't tell me that before the sale.Now the real problem is this!.. after the I have tried draining the water heater... black silt poured out of that. and the toilet tanks are getting this silt in the bowls already.

NOW MY PROBLEM IS; i have put in to two new refill filters.And he said something about 3 microns types, are the filters he sells, Not knowing what hes talking about , He said they do have a 1 micron filter.Is this going to screw up my water presssure?Really need some satisfaction on this one .THANK YOU MUCH

BOB S

Last edited by PJmax; 09-14-16 at 12:19 PM. Reason: removed company name
Old 09-14-16, 12:16 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,951 Upvotes on 3,544 Posts
Bob.... I occasionally repair water softeners but I am not aware of all the brands and models so I don't usually venture into this forum.

A black fine powder or silt sounds like a carbon filter..... not a water softener.
Did you have a water softener and a filter installed ?

The fine black specks should disappear several weeks after the filter is in use.

Old 09-14-16, 03:28 PM
B
This a.....btw....... how ya doin PJ...I put a 5 micron white filter in the incoming feed from the pump .I installed my filter casing.I hope it works like you say PJ. Otherwise.. i have another monthly job of changing filters. which among all the other little jobs.More to think of and remember. It is a fine black powder . that settles in the tanks of the toilets,.I think i'm going to run wiht your idea on this and cross my fingers/ But what is the microns deal. The water company talks about He sold me a 5 micron filter and told me, you can get down to 1 micron filters .He was trying to elaborate on the difference, and all i heard as he spoke to his gal friday -was he sounded like he said; less water pressure.Which we don't need less.thanks for whatever you think of its always a great help to me.

think i should try A 1 micron filter? .there only $4.00 bob s

Old 09-14-16, 03:39 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,951 Upvotes on 3,544 Posts
Doing good here...

The smaller the number.... the finer the filter.... less flow.

I'm not sure what you ended up there for equipment.

The black specks are carbon. They are not harmful. The specks come out of a new filter until all the particles are packed in place.

The same thing happens if you have one of those Brita water filter pitchers. I do. I think they are the best thing since Swiss cheese. A very effective way of filtering drinking water. After you change a filter.... the first gallon or two is filled with black specs.

Old 09-14-16, 05:47 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 9 Upvotes on 9 Posts
Is the challenge with the hot or the cold water?

You talk about taking out a 30 year old system and then a new system and there is a challenge...

Wells do like to change and it could have just now changed. There are people around here that change pre filters every x number of months because of sand or iron.

Have you put the softener in bypass to see if the sand or silt is still there?

If the softener is removed from the water and the sand or silt is still there then it is the well and NO SOFTENER will remove the sand or silt... they are just not built that way.

Old 09-15-16, 03:18 AM
B
The fine hardly visible black silt-Was quite prominent in our hot water heater .If i put it in by=pass .I can watch it ------an do this little test, i i can try that today,Thank you Dan

Old 09-15-16, 03:23 AM
B
One micron would slow down water pressure considerably i see.We aren't afraid of the silt just makes cleaning the bowls A shorter time between cleanings, Shes not concerned about it, So i get carried away for the both of us. A great day to you guys who helped me out, bob s

Old 09-15-16, 05:23 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 9 Upvotes on 9 Posts
In the water heater but not in the cold... what goes into the water heater comes out of the water heater.
It could be that the water heater is breaking down????

Old 09-16-16, 05:57 AM
B
Yes!I have been dwelling on this thought, with the hotwater heater. I drained it a few days ago. and I used a white towel to filter.This towel was black, half way thru- the running water out of the tank. It would be worth another drainage.TODAY after the Drs Appointment, thanks again fellas bob s

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: