What is Drained from a Water Softener (Valve Drain)?

Old 12-29-16, 09:54 AM
W
Received 5 Upvotes on 3 Posts
What is Drained from a Water Softener (Valve Drain)?

I was going to run the hose for my valve drain to my condensate pump. The pump pushes water to my side yard and drains to the lawn. What exactly drains through the valve drain hose for the water softener? I don't want something draining to my lawn that might discolor or kill the grass. I can reroute the condensate pump to a utility sink if needed.

Old 12-29-16, 11:10 AM
C
Received 176 Upvotes on 144 Posts
The brine discharged from ion exchange water softeners (the kind that use salt or potassium chloride) contains chlorine, potassium and sodium ions, often in fairly high concentrations. I would not discharge it onto grass or other plantings.

Old 12-29-16, 08:06 PM
W
This project (plumbing for, then installing a water softener) has been a real pain. I'm going to have to buy a bigger condensate pump, or get a sump pump. The condensate pump could not handle the water discharge. Luckily, the water softener is in my garage. Most of the water flowed out towards the garage doors. I'll buy something else that can handle the water, the route to my utility sink.

Old 12-29-16, 08:31 PM
W
There's a drain pipe for a bathroom about 3 feet from my water softener. The bathroom and water softener are on the same wall, but opposite sides. Is there any way to tap that drain pipe? I suppose there's no really good way to do it as I wouldn't have a p-trap.

Old 12-29-16, 08:45 PM
W
What Powers the Brine Discharge?

What powers the brine discharge? I just read something online that indicated the water pressure in my house is what pushes the brine discharge. Is that correct? If so, it's no wonder the little condensate pump couldn't handle the discharge. If the water pressure from my water lines pushes the brine out, I shouldn't need a pump, correct? Can't I just run a line up my wall, across my ceiling and drop into the utility sink? I would be running the lines any more than perhaps 4 feet up from the point of discharge. The model of softener I have is below...

Sears.com

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: