Resin in plumbing ...

Old 03-17-17, 02:27 PM
W
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Resin in plumbing ...

Hello,

After the latest regeneration cycle on my water softener system, I noticed resin in the plumbing. So, I set about to purge said resin from the household plumbing including replacing toilet fill valve, cleaning aerators, draining the water heater, etc. and of course I have the water softener in bypass. So far so good. So today I remove the resin tank control head to inspect the distributor tube expecting to find a breach somewhere. I find nothing wrong! The whole tube and basket look brand new. Serious bummer.

So what could be letting resin into the plumbing? Can the control head be at fault?

Some facts:
Fleck 5600 econominder
48000 grain resin tank (10x54)

I bought the system online and plumbed it in myself 7 years ago. It's been working flawlessly - until now.

TIA

Sponsored Links
Old 03-17-17, 04:04 PM
Received 372 Votes on 347 Posts
There is a vertical tube that allows the treated water to exit the softener.

On the bottom of the tube there is a screen the keeps the resin from entering. Somehow the barrier has been breached and the resin beads are flowing into the outgoing water.

It sure sounds like something is broken/missing inside the softener. Might be a good time to take apart, fix the problem, and refill with new resin.

Old 03-18-17, 11:30 AM
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
When the valve was removed from the tank did the distributor tube come up any? also was there a very clear ring around the tube from the o ring in the pilot tube of the valve? If that o ring has given way risen could make its way into the house.
But my money would be on the main distributor tube with a crack close the the risen level or just below as that has been know to happen.

Gravel at the bottom of the tank?

Old 03-18-17, 01:35 PM
W
@akpsdvan

Couldn't tell if the tube came up or was already up when I took off the valve. There is a definite and uninterrupted ring on the tube where was in contact with the o ring in the valve. I inspected the o ring in the valve - ran my finger around it. Little flecks of rubber came off but not much. It still seems pretty uniform but visually, it is starting to decay. Maybe under pressure some resin could escape. Maybe.

I wish it was the tube, but it looks fine. I have good close-up vision and I sure don't see anything and I looked real hard near the top where you said.

Again I ask, could there be a failure in the inner workings, o ring or otherwise, that would allow resin into the outflow port and into the house? Should I rebuild the valve?

Also, don't think there is gravel at the bottom. Don't remember putting that in.

Thanks.

Old 03-18-17, 06:58 PM
Have you removed the tube or distributor from the tank?
Some place there is a crack that is letting the resin cross over to the treated side.

Old 03-19-17, 10:03 AM
W
Yep. Inspected the entire tube very closely. I don't see how any resin could pass. By process of elimination, im faulting something in the controller. I'll just have to check it out real good.

Old 03-19-17, 01:32 PM
What kind of distributor? standard or tubulator?
City water or well water?
How much was lost? when it was new there was XX" from the top of the tank to the top of the media now there is What in distance from top of the tank to the top of the resin?