Low pressure RO after recharge...

Old 04-28-17, 05:11 AM
R
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Low pressure RO after recharge...

Hi all! My reverse osmosis faucet pressure was a little low. I drained the tank and did the whole pressure test, it was at 7 psi. I refilled the tank, it didn't help. I drained it again and put it to 9.5 psi..now it's even slower after 10 hours of filling....I am baffled, I ordered a new tank(5.5 gallon, same one I have now) but I have a feeling it may not help....any suggestions? Tank was full after many hours...thank you!

Old 04-28-17, 05:45 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,152 Upvotes on 1,927 Posts
Do not confuse a pressure or accumulator tank with RO filtration. They are two separate things. The RO filters are what filters the water. The tank where I think you were playing with the pressures is just there to accumulate the filtered water so it's ready to fill a big pitcher when needed.

Everything is powered by your home's water pressure. The RO filtered water pressure is determined by the water pressure in your house. First I would check your house's water pressure and see if it falls within the filter manufacturers recommendations. If your house has good enough pressure then next I would try replacing the filter cartridges in the RO system. And if after everything you still don't have good pressure there are booster pumps that you can install on the inlet to the filtration system to boost it's pressure.

Old 04-28-17, 06:39 AM
R
Thanks for quick response! I was under the assumption that the water coming out of the faucet (RO faucet) was coming out because the accumulation tank has air pressure in it, and since the flow is super low, that's because the air pressure in the accumulation tank was low...not because the house water pressure is low. This happened before as well, (I didn't know what I was doing, so I just bought a new tank, and then it worked fine after that but it's been less than a year, and my 3 filters including membrane are new) but this time, I checked the pressure in the accumulation tank and it seemed ok.
So you are saying that even if the pressure in the tank is low or normal, it doesn't have an effect on the pressure of the ro faucet? . confused now lol

Old 04-28-17, 07:00 AM
is just there to accumulate the filtered water so it's ready to fill a big pitcher when needed.
If I may dane, the tank also controls pressure to the faucet or fridge.

I do reconnects only on RO systems, but I think the new tank will fix it. The diaphragm is probably bad. When you pump air into the tank it's filling a sort of bladder.

Old 04-29-17, 05:33 AM
Received 3 Upvotes on 3 Posts
The move air pressure you put into the RO tank the less water will come out meaning it will drop to a slow flow very quickly. The proper amount of air is 6 lbs when the tank is completely empty. Replacing the filter is advised if they have been in over 6 months with multiple family members or 1 year with only 2 people.

Old 04-29-17, 04:12 PM
P
Group Moderator
The pressure tank does not create or decrease water pressure. It merely accumulates the output from the RO filter. So, the pressure tank despite it's name does not affect the pressure of the water at the tap. Altering the air pressure in the pressure tank will affect how much water it can accumulate and how smoothly it discharges water but it is just a dumb (not active) device that cannot alter the water pressure.

Old 04-29-17, 05:08 PM
I guess I'll try to hi-jack this thread and change the subject a little for training (me).

As far as I know, water will not pass through a tank unless the bladder is in working order.

Old 04-30-17, 02:50 PM
R
Well, I got the new tank, installed it, everything is perfect. So I suppose one of you is wrong lol. The tank does have an effect on pressure, as is obvious since I changed only the tank. Thanks for all your help!

Old 04-30-17, 03:51 PM
P
Group Moderator
I'm glad you got your system working. If replacing your tank improved the pressure it sounds like debris somehow clogged it.

Old 04-30-17, 05:08 PM
As long as it's fixed, that's what the site is for.... good job

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: