Time to replace Rainsoft water softener?

Old 07-17-17, 02:26 PM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Time to replace Rainsoft water softener?

I have an old Rainsoft Apollo that is no longer draining the water out of the salt hopper. I can't find anything wrong with the hoses and air check valve. Water does drain out the drain hose from somewhere - but the water does not drain out of the salt area.

This system operates on a timer. I think a system that operates on a meter would be best to go with now. So....

Can I just add a new valve assembly to the existing unit that is metered, or is it not worth it? (Resin too old)?

How should I go about figuring out what to replace the Rainsoft with? All I seem to read is how awful Rainsoft is (high pressure sales, expensive, etc). Can I buy a new system and would a plumber come in and hook it up, or is this not the type of thing they generally do?

I don't want to get ripped off, and I want to get something that is low maintenance and reliable.

I also have a another tank with calcite to raise pH, which I replaced myself 10 years ago (new tank & media, new Fleck 5600 valve). The space I have where the softener is is pretty tight - so I'd like a whole new setup to be right around the same footprint as the Apollo system that I have now (hopper with resin tank in hopper).

I have not gotten my water tested yet. Well and septic, family of 4 in a single family 2 bathroom house.

Thanks for ANY advice you can give!!

Attached Images  
Sponsored Links
Old 07-18-17, 04:06 PM
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
Photo of the over all system?
If the rainsoft valve is the old brass then yes it is time remove and put in a new system. Most likely the tank has a fine thread count and the new valve will have a more coarse thread count so a new tank and valve would be a good idea. Salt tank might be able to be reused with a new float assembly. Some plumbers do and some do not. See if there are any independent water treatment companies in your area. I know that some would be willing to work with a customer to find a system that works, some times a used tank and valve but new media..
just an idea.

Old 07-18-17, 05:28 PM
Received 392 Votes on 366 Posts
I can offer you a contact at Ohio Water, have purchased lots of stuff from them and their follow up is amazing.

Charlie is the owner and he has helped sort out equipment for several of my moderately elaborate water systems.

https://www.ohiopurewater.com/

Name:  20161224_173317.jpg
Views: 1114
Size:  35.1 KB

Old 07-20-17, 05:14 PM
Marq1, how old is your set up?

Old 07-20-17, 05:54 PM
That was installed in 2009.

Old 07-20-17, 07:54 PM
Still look as good as the photo?
How is the maintenance?

Old 07-21-17, 04:04 AM
Photo is recent.

What I have is a chlorine injection system to pre-treat the well water, then two large whole house filter (one for the house, one for the GEO thermal), then the house branch goes to carbon filter, water softer, and finally the RO system for drinking water.

Filters are changed every 3 months, salt as needed, and the chlorine tank refilled about every other month which varies if we use the sprinklers.

Only malfunction was to replace the chlorine pump, it now has a Steiner in place of a diaphragm type (cant recall brand) a couple years ago. Chlorine is corrosive stuff!

Had similar system put in 3 houses ago, cost me $4K but I took notes and used Ohio Water to duplicate in the last 2 houses and have about $1500 invested.

Excellent water!!

Name:  20161224_173335.jpg
Views: 885
Size:  36.8 KB