How can I raise our pH a bit more....?

Old 08-11-17, 10:24 AM
Y
Received 12 Votes on 12 Posts
How can I raise our pH a bit more....?

Lab report yesterday says our well water, after treatment, has a pH of 6.48. We have a 1.5 cu.ft. calcite tank, first in line, followed by a 2.0 cu.ft. BIRM tank and last a 1.5 cu.ft. water softener. Well water before treatment is around 6.3.

About once every 15 months, or so, over the last 9 years, a water tech fills the calcite tank with 1/2 cu.ft. of limestone or crushed marble and the pH goes up to 6.9 or so. He does not want to add any Corosex (magnesium oxide)....I forget why. Any comment here ?

The calcite tank has a Fleck 5600 timer (or variation thereof) and is set to backwash every seven days. Only two in household.

Tech leaves a lot of room at top of tank when refilling. He says last thing I need is calcite coming up while back washing.....and getting into our plumbing system. Think this is sound advice. Any comments ?

So.....how can I raise our pH during the year, before annual refill ?

Sponsored Links
Old 09-12-17, 07:25 AM
Y
Received 12 Votes on 12 Posts
Geeze........no comments on Corosex or anything else ? Don't want a retention tank. Would a bigger calcite tank help ?

Old 09-13-17, 05:45 AM
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Sounds to me the sealing point of the pH neutralizer may be bad. If the water is truly going through the pH media, it should raise it. Check to insure the distributor tube is sealing to the valve.

Old 09-14-17, 07:52 AM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Need more info....

What is your raw water pH? ( before treatment system) ?? Corosex / mag oxide may be needed. Also the max freeboard ( space in tank between top of media and tank nexk should be 10 - 12 inches. most mfg's recomment 50% freeboard.( tank half full) yes you must have good volume and pressure to lift and break up media bed in neut.. When I install treatment equipment I replumb if nessary to have 1" coming from pressure tank manifold to and thru equipment then reduce if needed to 3/4" when I tie into house plumbing.
The raw pH is what is needed to accurately size unit to house but also to determine if calcite only or if other additives are needed. I'm thinking your pH is much lower, Dont know what area you live in. but poss your raw pH may be down in 5.xx range, with a 50% free board and no mag ox you dont have enough correction to get and hold you at 7.0 pH.
Your pH will vary from well to well. For example I have customers next door to each other where one has many issues ( bacteria, pH, iron, 14 grains hard and house next door well is approx 60 ft from other well just has 4 grains hard water and pH is 6.9 no bacteria, iron, manganise etc) So if you haventtested raw pH then get your raw pH tested. That will determine what is accurately. There is a possibility that your raw pH is so low that a soda ash injection should have been installed instead of a neutralizer or soda ash followed by a neutralizer. Tom@QualityWaterLLC dot com

Old 09-14-17, 07:57 AM
T
Yes check manifold to valve seal

There is a possibility depending on your control valve, that there could be problems also with that simple is oring that seals valve to manifold / riser / distributer tube, or valve bad ( internal crack, piston seals and spacers scratched, torn worn out etc) Is your water guy a plumber or do they specialize in water treatment only? most plumbing companies "dabble" in treatment but when you get into heavier water quality problems it is beyond them. that is what I'm thinking where the "tech" does not want to use corosex or prob fill more than 50% free board.

Old 09-14-17, 08:02 AM
T
3rd note lol.....

tech should not just be taking out "top water" and adding new media, tank will clog from media breakdown over time then most plumbers will say need to replace tank or entire unit. Media needs to be syphoned from bottom of tank then new added to prevent flow restriction / clogging. I get so many calls where people have clogged tanks and we ask them how the recharge process is done and reply is empty top water and refill. there is your problem not being done right and every usually 4 - 5 yrs tank should be completely emptied then complete refill of new media