Blue Home Water Filter

Old 09-03-17, 03:23 PM
V
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Blue Home Water Filter

Moved into a new house with what I assume is a Big Blue Water filter installed. No markings on the outside in order to see what filter size to use, but Im assuming it's the 10 in. x 4-1/2 in. filter cartridge based on the size.

Now on to the problem. I turned off the water both before and after the filter. Pressed the red button, but no matter how long I prrss the button water continues to come out. Do I force the filter wrench or use a rubber strap to force it open?

I do know that the main completely shuts off the water, as I have already replumbed all of the toilets through the house

Old 09-03-17, 04:42 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,947 Upvotes on 3,540 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

Since you turned the water off before and after the filter... eventually the water should stop coming out. If you have the proper filter wrench... use that. If not.... a rubber strap wrench should do the job.

Old 09-03-17, 05:59 PM
Received 1,210 Upvotes on 1,098 Posts
So something is not closing, if you have valves shut before and after the filter you will get just a small amount of water,

If you have pressure on the filter and try to open you risk breaking a line, I have 2 of these and had similar issue until I added a valve that bled the pressure.

Note, the small pressure release buttons can get clogged, so they are not error proof that pressure is released.

Old 09-03-17, 06:20 PM
V
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
I would not be suprised if it is not closing after the filter based on how other things have been done in this house. There is currently a water softener hooked up to the system as well that isn't even being used and we know that the owners had rented the property out for a number of years prior to selling, so who knows when the last time any type of maintenance was actually performed on the system.

I'll re-check the lines tomorrow and drain the water from the sinks, prior to turning the valve after the filter, to see if that makes any difference.

Old 09-04-17, 05:57 AM
Received 3 Upvotes on 3 Posts
Shut the incoming water off only. Open a faucet to allow the pressure in the housing to be released. You will need to use the filter wrench to loosen the housing. DO NOT use the wrench to tighten the housing once you have changed the filter.

Old 09-04-17, 09:23 AM
Received 1,210 Upvotes on 1,098 Posts
DO NOT use the wrench to tighten the housing
Aman to that, hand tight only!

Keep the o rings well lubricated!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: